AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey All

Just joined up as I have been really enjoying the input and ideas being provided here.

With that comes a problem that I hope that someone can help me with.

I have just recently bought (as the subject line suggests) a Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver. I have two external input sources. A Shaw Cable Box and a custom built XBMC media PC both plugged in via HDMI1/2 respectively. I can get sound from both to pass through to the TV speakers, but they suck. I have a pair of Bose Companion 2 Series II Desktop powered speakers that are all I have for now. I cannot get any sound from the HDMI source to the AV out on the receiver to the Bose speakers. I have tried a lot of combinations of settings with no luck and at this point I am wondering if it is even possible and does this receiver have this capability. 

The output sources from both the external devices are putting sound out via the HDMI as is confirmed with the pass through to the TV speakers, and I can get local fm/al radio to play out the Bose speakers, but nothing seems to be passing through from the HDMI side of things to the AV out and attached Bose speakers.

I hope that describes the situation as best as possible. I would love to have an answer on this just so I know what my options are. Missed config option. Return it as its broken. Buy new passive speakers. I hope to eventually eat a milk bone in a commie free world...

Thanks so much for any input.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Hi slendotnet, the AV Out jacks only output analog video/audio signals selected as the input (it will not down convert HDMI to analog).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin  /t/1521762/yamaha-rx-v475-problems-...ered-desktop-speakers-on-av-out#post_24460376

Hi slendotnet, the AV Out jacks only output analog video/audio signals selected as the input (it will not down convert HDMI to analog).

Well that is a simple enough answer. So my only options would be to buy some passive speakers that I can wire directly to the Left/Right speakers posts or return for a model that would allow me to down convert the HDMI to analog.

Guess that makes it pretty clear.

Milkbone being enjoyed...

·
Registered
9,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slendotnet  /t/1521762/yamaha-rx-v475-problems-...ered-desktop-speakers-on-av-out#post_24460398

or return for a model that would allow me to down convert the HDMI to analog.

Don't think you find this.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slendotnet  /t/1521762/yamaha-rx-v475-problems-...ered-desktop-speakers-on-av-out#post_24460398

...return for a model that would allow me to down convert the HDMI to analog...

I thought this was an odd limitation with my RX-V475 as well. I'm not as familiar with the full line of Yamaha AVRs, but looks like you have to step up at least to the RX-V775 to get full pre-outs, which I assume will pass HDMI audio as line-level analog. With Onkyo or Denon, you will need to also get a higher-end AVR to have pre-outs that play from HDMI or other digital sources. I have first hand experience that my Onkyo TX-NR1007 does.

I think that the Marantz NR1504 is one of the least expensive AVRs that has pre-outs. This AVR only has pre-outs for the main speakers (and sub.) rather than full multichannel pre-outs, but that would suffice in your situation. I'm fairly confident that it does, but I don't have firsthand experience with the NR1504, so you should confirm that it routes HDMI signals to the pre-outs before you buy it.

If you can swap to the Marantz for a similar price, then it might be a good choice, otherwise as you noted, it is probably most cost effective to buy new speakers rather than upgrading to a higher-end AVR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts