Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V475. I have:

• LG 55” LN5400.

• ATT Cable box

• Samsung HT 5300 BD/DVD player.

Setup:

• ATT Cable Box is attached to the TV by HDMI and the ATT's Optical Cable is attached into Yamaha's AV4.

• Samsung is attached to the Yamaha in HDMI 1.

• An HDMI comes out of the Yamaha's HDMI 'Out' jack and connects to the LG's (second) HDMI jack.

I have the following questions:

1) AV4 is the default for TV set up. When I press the TV Scene button on the Remote/Receiver, the Receiver changes to AV4 (Default). However, to receive TV audio the Receiver has to be on AV1. How can I change the TV Scene button -or- the Receiver to  AV1? 

Note: I tried changing the Optical Cable from the ATT Cable box to AV1. After pressing the TV Scene button on the Remote/Receiver the audio works for a few seconds and then switches back automatically to AV4

2) I am unable to receive any audio -or- visual from the Samsung player.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Connect the cable tv box and bluray player to the receiver hdmi inputs.

Connect the receiver hdmi output to the tv. No audio cables needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks kikkenit2 for your reply.

I attached the HDMI cable from the cable box to HDMI 2 on the receiver.  It works.... temporarily. I press the HDMI 2 button and the video and audio appear on the TV however, after about 3 seconds the sound goes out as it automatically switches to AV1.

Any suggestions?

I can see the menu screen from my Samsung DVD however a message appears saying 'Connect and Optical Cable from this product to the external digital devices such as a Cable box or Satellite Receiver'. Which device should I connect it to?

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
There are 2 settings that could be affecting this problem. Check for ARC and HDMI control

on each device. Both settings can manipulate how the devices interact. I admit I have never

used either. The Yamaha manual on page 20 even shows both a hdmi & digital audio

connection required between tv and stereo. This makes no sense to me.

So study pages 19-21 and 74-75 and experiment with that. Once it all works then setup

the scene buttons. And search hdmi control in the dedicated Yamaha threads here.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I did some more research. I have the Yamaha 773. The manual is slightly different.

Basically if both the tv and receiver have arc and both are turned on no separate

audio cable needs to be attached. Othersise audio cable from tv to receiver is required.

As far as the cable box some don't like to pass hdmi video through receivers so you may

need to leave the cable hdmi directly to tv and audio cable to receiver.

As far as the bluray player sometimes the type of audio out affects everything. Try to

set the Samsung audio out to bitstream or at least change it from where it is set to

the other choice. If you don't need the tv remote to control other devices (I don't) then

turn off hdmi control in the Yamaha. I have it off and arc on.

The 773 manual says only hdmi input 1 has hdmi control. The 475 manual does not

say that. Trying different hdmi inputs may have some effect. I use a directv dvr for

tv viewing and it has several weird control buttons (color coded) so trying to get

one remote to control everything just doesn't work for me. Therefore hdmi control

is worthless and I keep it off. ARC eliminates needing an audio cable so I do use that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Kikkenit,

I apologize for the slow reply but thank you for your help. I was able to get everything working with the exception of the Samsung DVD player.

The Yamaha will play a DVD from the Samsung (or Netflix from the Samsung) for a few seconds. The Yamaha then automatically switches back to play sound from the Set Top Box. Coincidentally, the Yamaha started working 'correctly' over the weekend and stopped switching back to the the Set Top Box. I made a mental note of the settings and watched a movie.

A few days later I did not change any of the settings however, when I tried to watch Netflix the Yamaha continues to switch back to the Set Top Box. I know that there must be some configuration to prevent it from switching back to the Set Top Box.

I altered the HDMI (on/off), ARC (on/off) and Digital Output (a) PCM, b) Bistream- Unprocessed, c)  Bitstream - Re-encoded DTS and d) Bitsream (Re-encoded Dolby D) settings in the Samsung to no avail.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The receiver could be defective. It should lock into any input. I would try a full reset.

If that doesn't work I would call Yamaha tech support.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks again for the quick reply. After nearly giving up, I turned off Simplink on my LG TV and it worked. I had not thought of this before as I thought the basis of the problem was either with the Samsung or Yamaha. Hopefully, it solves the problem for good.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I am not very well informed on tv features/functions. I do remember reading in another thread about turning simplink off. Trying to get hdmi to work both directions is tricky so I don't do it. I like Yamaha partly because they usually have better hdmi compatibility than other brands. Way to go sir. I'll remember that word. I need to download some tv manuals. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts