AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need confirmation on an issue and maybe suggestions. I just bought a used set of Klipsch F-3 floor speakers and C-3 center. I am running 5.1 with the Front LR bi-amped to the F-3's. Whenever I turn the volume up above -20 the Yammy shuts down during loud action scenes (lots of bass) in movies. I have the AVR setup to send LFE to my sub and LR speakers set to large. They get pretty loud but not obsurd or anything (Impressive bass from the F-3's). Would this just be the AVR maxing out on power and a protection switch kicking in. Didn't think this would happen bi-amped.

If so what should I do? Get a better receiver or a 2-channel amp? Any suggestions for either would be good. The less I have to spend the better but I would save cash for the best option. I'm not trying to go balls out either. Just good sound for as loud as I want it. I love the F-3's by the way.

·
Banned
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysyndrome /forum/post/18303042

Hi guys, I need confirmation on an issue and maybe suggestions. I just bought a used set of Klipsch F-3 floor speakers and C-3 center. I am running 5.1 with the Front LR bi-amped to the F-3's. Whenever I turn the volume up above -20 the Yammy shuts down during loud action scenes (lots of bass) in movies. I have the AVR setup to send LFE to my sub and LR speakers set to large. They get pretty loud but not obsurd or anything (Impressive bass from the F-3's). Would this just be the AVR maxing out on power and a protection switch kicking in. Didn't think this would happen bi-amped.

If so what should I do? Get a better receiver or a 2-channel amp? Any suggestions for either would be good. The less I have to spend the better but I would save cash for the best option. I'm not trying to go balls out either. Just good sound for as loud as I want it. I love the F-3's by the way.

Its a well known fact the low end yamahas, 665 and lower have light weight low current amp. So its just not designed to do what you want. The work around your problem is easy, just set the speaker to small and x point 80hz or higher 120hz may be good if want to max out the amp with the highest volume output. There is nothing really wrong with the 565, is just not that poweful and needs to set up to work for your needs.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
The unit shouldn't be shutting down regardless of the speakers used. Clipping, and sounding bad - yes, but shutting down - no. Re-wire the speakers making certain there are no loose strands of copper and replace any wires that are not pristine. Disconnect one speaker and try to make it shut down, then disconnect another and do the same. Maybe you can isolate one speaker that's doing it. Or, maybe the AVR is messed up.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I second Mr Grime's advice (not sure that's a good name for him, but I am sure he's the forgiving sort.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I first hooked my v565 up and it was doing the exact same thing. It was set for 8 ohm speakers and my 2 fronts are 6 ohm. I switched the ohm to 6 and my problem was solved.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocman /forum/post/18305228

I first hooked my v565 up and it was doing the exact same thing. It was set for 8 ohm speakers and my 2 fronts are 6 ohm. I switched the ohm to 6 and my problem was solved.

That just limits the power output to even lower levels, so not to overwork and heat up the IC chip amp . It may not shut down but the output will be somewhat less than full wattage output. Klipsch are rated @ 8 ohms and should be paired up with a premium amp for best results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I checked the wiringa and it seems fine and ohm is set right. The manual says the unit should only go into stand by when it gets too hot. I have decent ventilation and it shuts off as soon as i turn it up. Its not like it is building up heat or anything.

And now I have another problem. The audio & video cuts out every once in a while for just a few seconds at a time over HDMI (only connection being used) from my PS3. I think this unit is fried or something. Very bummed as I only had it a few months. Could I have just over worked it trying to power the Klipsch? I am going to try the firmware update to see if that helps but I doubt it. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I updated the firmware on the v565 and all seems to be better. Actually learned a few things while playing around with it. I found the GEQ and played with the settings and it sounds much better to me now. Had used the Automatic EQ previously.

I turned the bass tone to +2 (was +10) and now I can turn it up to 0 with no shutting down. Not sure if it was the firmware update or the less bass being output but it still sounds good with the sub taking up the slack. Also 2 days and no audio/video cutting out either. Hopefully it was just a software issue fixed by the system reset. Still think I want a seperate amp for the 3 front Klipsch speakers though. Perhaps in time.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A high amount of EQ definitely pushes your power needs up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts