AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V659 receiver and have 8 Bose accoustimass speakers that I use for my surround sound system, with a Sony powered sub woofer. I heard about your forum from a friend on FB and have a problem I hope you can help me with. I recently moved to a smaller house than before and set up my av system connected to my uverse system and listen to lots of music, music videos and movies. I am a little hard of hearing and tend to turn up the sound on my system. That is where the problem lies. When I turn up my volume to a certain level, my receiver turns off. If I turn it back on and turn down the volume some it does not turn off, but if an action scene comes on, it will turn off again. As long as the volume is not too loud it is ok, it only happens when the volume is louder.. In fact, sometimes it shuts off when the volume is not really that loud. I moved to a smaller house recently and and my living room is quite a bit smaller than before and I didn't have the problem before. I have set the distance to match my living space and I believe all my other settings are correct. What could be the problem and how can it be fixed? Someone suggested a preamp, but I do not know enough about them to know if that would help or even what to look for in a pre amp. I am hoping you can help me. Thanks again for the welcome[/SIZE]

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Your receiver is going into protection mode. Have you made sure your speaker connections are properly made? How/why did you connect eight sat speakers? I don't think the Bose are particularly low impedance but don't know much about them as I don't consider them particularly good (had one of their first sub/sat systems)....what's their rated (nominal) impedance? Low impedance speakers might do something like this with a receiver not rated for low impedance (like 4 ohm). Don't know what you did to setup your avr, you mention only distance (and not much info) but not level or other details....did you try running the YPAO auto setup to see if that helps?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1523787/yamaha-rx-v659-shuts-off#post_24518084

Your receiver is going into protection mode. Have you made sure your speaker connections are properly made? How/why did you connect eight sat speakers? I don't think the Bose are particularly low impedance but don't know much about them as I don't consider them particularly good (had one of their first sub/sat systems)....what's their rated (nominal) impedance? Low impedance speakers might do something like this with a receiver not rated for low impedance (like 4 ohm). Don't know what you did to setup your avr, you mention only distance (and not much info) but not level or other details....did you try running the YPAO auto setup to see if that helps?

There is a fairly common failure mode of speakers where the voice coils in the woofers partially cook and bubble up, rub on the magnet poll pieces and take on far lower impedances including a near-total short.

I wouldn't recommend Acoustimass systems for people who want or need a lot of loudness.

The usual way to troubleshoot an AVR that shuts down is to remove all of the speaker connections to the AVR, and test it with the failing recording while adding the speakers back one or two at a time. If it shuts down with no speakers attached then it is probably the AVR itself that is fried.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought maybe that it was going into a protection mode. The wiring was done by my son inlaw because I am currently medically disabled, and right now I do not want to impose on him again. Your comments also confirm my thoughts about the wiring and that it needs to be checked. Hopefully , I will be able to check it soon. I've had the accoustimass speakers for a few years because I was a big fan of Bose when I was younger. If I were to change to different speakers to accommodate my hearing loss, what would be some suggestions on some good not too expensive speakers that you would suggest. Thanks for your input.?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts