AVS Forum banner

Yamaha RX-V661 & Emotiva LPA-1?

882 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Balthazar2k4 
#1 ·
So I have been kicking around this crazy idea to add an Emotiva amp to the new Yammy. Does anyone think this would buy me a sonic improvement or should I just consider upgrading to a "higher-end" receiver?

I have read many great things about the Emotiva LPA-1. The Yamaha would be a decent enough pre/pro for my system. I am still kicking around the idea of just moving to the Onkyo 805, but I am still not sold on the HDMI 1.3 connectivity.

Just looking for some thoughts...

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/0

So I have been kicking around this crazy idea to add an Emotiva amp to the new Yammy. Does anyone think this would buy me a sonic improvement or should I just consider upgrading to a "higher-end" receiver?

I have read many great things about the Emotiva LPA-1. The Yamaha would be a decent enough pre/pro for my system. I am still kicking around the idea of just moving to the Onkyo 805, but I am still not sold on the HDMI 1.3 connectivity.

Just looking for some thoughts...

In my opinion, based off a lot of personal experience, yes. I myself have a Rotel RB-1080 that I use for my mains and I'm replacing my old receiver with the 661 this week. The 661 will be used as pre-pro as well to power my center, surrounds, and rear surrounds.

From what I know and all that I've learned about the 661, it's more then just a "decent" piece of equipment. Don't be fooled by price tags my friend, they're very misleading and don't always tell the whole story. Something doesn't always have to be expensive to be a killer product. We live in an age where we're getting far more for money then ever before. Products keep getting better while prices keep going down. I think you'll be very pleased and surprised with the preformance of the 661, and if the funds will allow, by all means pick up the LPA-1, it's a great amp and one that's very hard to beat for the money.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

I have had the 661 for about 3 weeks or so and I am actually very impressed with the unit. I would whole heartedly agree that it is fantastic receiver for the money. I am also quite satisfied with the sound it produces, but would be very curious to know what a solid external amp could do to further improve things.

My reasons for moving to an Onkyo 805 stem from the "more features=better" disorder I have. I have owned Onkyo in the past and was quite pleased with its performance. The Yamaha's lack of HDMI OSD and of all things learning remote drive me a little crazy, but can be dealt with in time.

I am just trying to figure out which is the best direction for $1000, receiver/amp combo or just a bigger receiver.....

#4 ·
Do you like to play your movies/music loud? If you do, go with the amp. I promise you it's something you won't regret.

Now the 805 is THX Ultra 2 certified, but I think you'd be surprised how the LPA-1 would out preform it.

I've owned quite a few Onkyo receivers in the past, and I enjoyed them all, but they all had issues and the sound quality, although good, wasn't as good as what I've heard with LPA-1. I don't own the LPA-1, but a good friend of mine does. Ironically, he has it paired with the Onkyo 804, and there's quite a big difference when he runs his speakers through the receiver verses when he runs them through the amp.

Personally, I'd go with the amp, you already got a great receiver/pre-pro. However, your happiness is the most important, so do what you feel is best and worry not what others think. After all, it's your system, not ours.

#5 ·
Thanks S.Cane!

I usually don't play the volume very loud because I typically only get to watch movies at night when my son is sleeping. I just want all the "detail" the soundtrack has to offer. I don't know if that is really a function of the amp or processing. I guess ultimately it comes down to the "best" sound for the money...

I suppose that is what we all want

#6 ·
Well, look at it this way; What do you have to lose, other then a little return shipping fee?

As of now, you currently have what is in my opinion a great receiver/pre-pro. Emotiva has a 30 day money back guaranteed. Order it and give it a try. I'm pretty darn sure it will exceed your expectations and you'll be tickled pink. However, in the event that I'm wrong, (and Lord knows I've been wrong before) then send it back for a full refund. By then the 805 will be shipping and you could pick one up if you so desire.

In your particular set of circumstances, it's a no lose situation.

#7 ·
Good point! I really have nothing to lose so I might as well see. I will order one when I get back from China in late June and report my findings. Any suggestions on audio interconnects? I would hate to "spoil" the sound with bad cabling.

#8 ·
If you want some good interconnects that won't break the bank, then look at monoprice.com .

Their prices are almost too good to be true, but they are the real deal. Over the years I've spent thousands on the quote unquote "high end" cables, and none of the preformed any better then the cables I've purchased from monoprice.

You could also take a look at Dayton cables through Parts Express. I've used them before too, and they too are very good.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Cane /forum/post/0

If you want some good interconnects that won't break the bank, then look at monoprice.com .

Their prices are almost too good to be true, but they are the real deal. Over the years I've spent thousands on the quote unquote "high end" cables, and none of the preformed any better then the cables I've purchased from monoprice.

You could also take a look at Dayton cables through Parts Express. I've used them before too, and they too are very good.

Thanks again S.Cane! I will take a look at the avsforum sponors: monoprice and bluejeanscable.

Just wanted to make sure

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 /forum/post/0

Thanks again S.Cane! I will take a look at the avsforum sponors: monoprice and bluejeanscable.

Just wanted to make sure

Ahh good call, I forgot about bluejeanscable. I purchased my speaker wire from them. They too are another good place.

#12 ·
I'll keep you in mind Livin, but it might be a while before I get to that point. I am currently out of the country and won't be back for awhile, so it might be July before I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.