AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ive been debating this for a while now myself. The onkyo doesnt have pre outs so youll never be able to add an external amp...which I didnt think would be a problem with my denon either, but trust me its worth it. The sony well......is a sony. HK has major quality control issues with there new units (just check the entire 2000 post thread dedicated to the problems of the unit.) Between the 663 and the pioneer its really a toss up Ive found. Im going to get a pioneer because most owners love their unit. Owners threads can do wonders on your purchase choice. Id love to own an Onkyo 805 if i can find one locally.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Every unit has some issues. It seems to be regarded as a great receiver for the money. If it had pre outs I would probably get that instead of the pioneer. Thats why im looking for the 805 and even if I buy the pioneer and 2 weeks later see an 805 im buying it (new that is, refurb there kind of easy to find).

·
Registered
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /forum/post/15424935

Every unit has some issues. It seems to be regarded as a great receiver for the money. If it had pre outs I would probably get that instead of the pioneer. Thats why im looking for the 805 and even if I buy the pioneer and 2 weeks later see an 805 im buying it (new that is, refurb there kind of easy to find).

Order the Pioneer. That's what I did 2 1/2 weeks ago. 3 hours later the 805 came in stock (1 unit) at circuit city, was in outlet for 543, bought with coupon for 500. Cancelled pioneer order. Seemed to be my lucky charm....actually ordering the pioneer.

Good luck with the search. I have an old school yamaha, and an onkyo 505 (from a htib). I liked the yamaha sound, felt the onkyo was just not full, rather muddy, esp as the volume increased...but took chance on the 805 based on the reviews here and hell at 50 lbs there must be something good in there.

Only listening 2 channel right now, but i like music again, very warm and full sounding, night and day compared to the 505 and even better than my old yamaha. So far I'm sold on it! Plus it saves me a bunch on my gas bill as I can set the thermostat to 62 degrees and be comfortable now....it does run a little toasty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.