AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I would just like some opinions regarding this setup. I'm trying to put together a relatively cheap system and I've seen the receiver going for $250 and the speaker set going for $400.

I know that I should be including a subwoofer into the mix, but I will be waiting for a little while before I add one. I am just tired of listening to the horrible TV speakers that I've listened to for 29 years of my life and wanting to put together something that is decent.

Is this setup worthwhile? Are the speakers decent? Should I just put my money into buying a couple nicer floor-standing speakers and build up slowly from that?

It seems like these Jamo speakers are in the same range as a lot of the entry level floor-standing speakers and that's why I considered them.

I did notice that the impedance for the speakers is listed at 6 ohms. Would that be a problem for this receiver?

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: If it makes a difference the room this will be in is approximately 16' x 17'.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
That's a great set-up for the money and is next to impossible to beat for the price versus sound quality you will get. You yamaha receiver will handle the 6ohm speakers

If you are coming from tv speakers this will be a huge upgrade.

As for subwoofer you can wait and the jamo's should be enough to hold you over for now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses. It looks like Google might've lied to me about the pricing. I think I will be spending just under $400 for the receiver.

Anyway, thank you for your input. I'm looking forward to piecing this together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own the Yamaha RX-V663 and I love it. I'd imagine that the RX-V667 is similar but with updated hardware. The ONLY thing that I found as a con on my version is that sometimes it is gets tedious when navigating through the menus. The RX-V667 includes a redesigned menu that may fix this tedious process.

I love my Yammy and everything about it. One of my favorite features that Yamaha provides is the YPAO Automatic System Calibration, which is PHENOMENAL!!! I purchased mine in March of 2009 for $380 (tax free + free shipping) while Best Buy had the same model on display for $549 ($580.24 after taxes) and have not once regretted investing my money into Yamaha.

·
Registered
171 Posts
not sure what you are coming from, but you should be very very happy with the jamo set. I just have the s606 towers, but have heard the 5.0 setup at a local store and was very impressed with the sound the little surrounds put out for their size. They definitely smoke my polk rm6750 (i think thats the model) rear surrounds. don't remember how the center channel performed, but I think you will get a huge smile on your face from the towers for sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the additional input.

I am coming from never having had a dedicated sound system. I've been living with 10 watt (or less) TV speakers my entire life. Outside of that, the best speakers I've had were some fairly cheap computer speakers I got about 10 years ago.

I've always lived in an apartment so I never felt like investing in decent speakers. I will soon be in a house, though.

Basically, I could buy 98% of anything out there and it would blow my mind, but I wanted to get some opinions before I spent the money just to make sure there were at least a few people that had good experiences with the equipment I decided on.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal_lock /forum/post/0

Thank you for the additional input.

I am coming from never having had a dedicated sound system. I've been living with 10 watt (or less) TV speakers my entire life. Outside of that, the best speakers I've had were some fairly cheap computer speakers I got about 10 years ago.

I've always lived in an apartment so I never felt like investing in decent speakers. I will soon be in a house, though.

Basically, I could buy 98% of anything out there and it would blow my mind, but I wanted to get some opinions before I spent the money just to make sure there were at least a few people that had good experiences with the equipment I decided on.

You will be very happy with your purchase! I recently did a setup for a friend that used the same receiver and Jamo 606 setup. We added Dual Bic PL-200 subs...which I would suggest you adding a sub in the future. However, for the time being the 8" woofer in the tower will do a decent job. They are phenomenal for the price. Let me know if you need any help with setup

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have the Yamaha RX-V667. Bought it when the price was higher so you got a bargain. Great little unit. I've had it for seven months and no complaints. Pair with the Jamos, you should be a happy camper. IMHO, you might want to spend a few extra pesos and get the banana plugs for the receiver.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
clownaphobia,

Thanks for the offer. I may hit you up for some advice when I receive everything.

smudge,

What exactly are the banana plugs for?

I'm thinking of going with the v867 if I can find another deal on Newegg (looks like I just missed one).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've gone ahead and purchased the v867 since I was able to get it for $450 from Newegg.

While I was buying it though, I noticed the Polk Monitor 70s they had for $180. Would it be worth picking up two of these for $360 and slowly building on them? Or should I be looking at higher end speakers to build on, if I wanted to go that route?

I am only looking to spend about $450 for the speakers right now. I feel a little bad not spending more on the speakers than the receiver, but that's all I can afford for now (and I wanted a relatively new model receiver).

Thanks again for any input.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The Polk M50/60/70 are all on sale, but never on the same week. I'd pick either the 60 or 70. Neither is a bad choice. Their current prices aren't their lowest. I'd wait at least a week to see if either drops.

There are however, Polk Monitor 40's open box(at Newegg) for $72. Get those now while you wait for 60/70(either one) to meet up with a more favorable sale price. Unless you want to do a "full tower" theater...

If you can live with cherry speakers...the M50 is in clearance for $80 a piece.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal_lock /forum/post/20813368

I've gone ahead and purchased the v867 since I was able to get it for $450 from Newegg.

While I was buying it though, I noticed the Polk Monitor 70s they had for $180. Would it be worth picking up two of these for $360 and slowly building on them? Or should I be looking at higher end speakers to build on, if I wanted to go that route?

I am only looking to spend about $450 for the speakers right now. I feel a little bad not spending more on the speakers that the receiver, but that's all I can afford for now (and I wanted a relatively new model receiver).

I presonally would stick with the Jamos, but then I'm a Jamo fan, having 2 sets of their speakers. As for not spending more on the speakers than the receiver, don't worry about it. My receiver retailed at about 2.5 times the cost of my speakers (without the subs) but everything sounds great. Moving from TV speakers, you will love your setup!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Jamos now, simply because they are a package and I wouldn't have to wait and try to catch the Polks on sale individually, but looking at the specs, I have just a couple questions:

I'm sure someone has answered these questions before, but could someone explain the significance of the lower impedance on the Jamos? Does it just mean they are more efficient and I can drive them more easily (push more wattage)?

Also, is the difference in frequency response (38Hz-25kHz for Polks and 42Hz-20kHz for the Jamos) a significant difference?

Feel free to link me to a thread that explains these things if you know of one.

I'm sure there are many other factors that go into making a speaker sound great. I am just trying to figure it all out as I go.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where have you seen the v667 receiver for that cheap? I have looked on Amazon the past few weeks and its close to $400...

I have been thinking about getting the same setup (still debating between the polks and the jamos...)

I am leaning towards the polks that way I can spend less money up front (starting with a 3.1 system) and use what I saved on a better subwoofer now and get the rears later on.

I am looking at:

Polk monitor 60s

Polk cs2

·
Registered
29,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal_lock /forum/post/20813368

I am only looking to spend about $450 for the speakers right now. I feel a little bad not spending more on the speakers than the receiver, but that's all I can afford for now (and I wanted a relatively new model receiver).

You can get the Monitor 70's and a CS2 center right now for just under $460. That's as cheap as its gonna get for those 3 speakers.

Jamo vs Polk is a personal preference. I own Jamo speakers so I'm biased.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal_lock
What exactly are the banana plugs for?
Instead of connecting your speaker wire directly to your + and - terminals on the back of your receiver, you connect them to a banana plug (which then connects to your receiver.) It avoids the stray strands that may inadvertently touch another terminal. They're available at Monoprice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just purchased the Yamaha 671, with the Jamo 606HCS. Right I only have the towers and center hooked up and it sounds awesome. When my Lava sub gets here it should be rockin. Best set up for the price in my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aydterracer2005,

I was mistaken. Or rather, Google was mistaken. It told me that there was a Best Buy near me that was selling it for that price, but I checked and they did not have any. I ended up getting a different model from Newegg, but that would have been a sweet price.

smudge,

Thanks, I will look into getting some banana plugs.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.