AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Looking for some help (basics and pointers) on how to set up my speakers. I have got a Yamaha RX V667 and Polk audio speakers

Polk Audio TSi300 * 2

Polk Audio PSW110 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker

I have ran the YPAO set up on them and i got to say, i dont think i am getting the most out of them. The result came back saying that the front and center speaker were Large and both rear are Small.

It set the Bass cross over at 110Hz (which sounds a bit high ?? ) .. Is there any recommendations that people can give me in general for this kind of a set up ? I am not too knowledgeable of the fine tuning's but i know that its not right (but just dont know how to go about fixing it)

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated

Rob

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_o_grady /forum/post/20860281

Hello

Looking for some help (basics and pointers) on how to set up my speakers. I have got a Yamaha RX V667 and Polk audio speakers

Polk Audio TSi300 * 2

Polk Audio PSW110 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Polk Audio CS10 Center Channel Speaker

Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speaker

I have ran the YPAO set up on them and i got to say, i dont think i am getting the most out of them. The result came back saying that the front and center speaker were Large and both rear are Small.

It set the Bass cross over at 110Hz (which sounds a bit high ?? ) .. Is there any recommendations that people can give me in general for this kind of a set up ? I am not too knowledgeable of the fine tuning's but i know that its not right (but just dont know how to go about fixing it)

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated Rob

Try setting all speakers to small and change crossover to 80. It is normal to have to tweak settings some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response ..

So why would i place the speakers as small ? What advantage has this ? I will reduce the crossover to 80 and see how that sounds ..

Also, what is the definition of a "small" or "large" speaker ?

Sorry for the rookie questions :)

Rob

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_o_grady /forum/post/20863349

Thanks for the response ..

So why would i place the speakers as small ? What advantage has this ? I will reduce the crossover to 80 and see how that sounds ..

Also, what is the definition of a "small" or "large" speaker ?

Sorry for the rookie questions :)

Rob

The bass management doesn't work properly unless all speakers are set to small with a subwoofer. Even audyssey often makes you change some speakers from large to small. Don't know why. The main knock on yamaha brand lately is all speakers have to be set to the same crossover setting. In your case setting the front slightly lower than the surround would be ideal. That is not an option. So set them all to small, try 80hz and maybe try 90hz if that is available. Maybe even 70 but 60hz is too low and 110 is probably too high. Find your sweet spot. It varies with speaker combinations and room environments. If this sounds awful let us know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 /forum/post/20863428

The bass management doesn't work properly unless all speakers are set to small with a subwoofer. Even audyssey often makes you change some speakers from large to small. Don't know why. The main knock on yamaha brand lately is all speakers have to be set to the same crossover setting. In your case setting the front slightly lower than the surround would be ideal. That is not an option. So set them all to small, try 80hz and maybe try 90hz if that is available. Maybe even 70 but 60hz is too low and 110 is probably too high. Find your sweet spot. It varies with speaker combinations and room environments. If this sounds awful let us know.

Ah .. setting the speakers to small may sort out the Base issue i have been having then .. I can adjust the sub crossover from 60->120 so will play around between 70/80/90 and see which one is the best setting .. Some good advise i

I have also unearthed EQ setting for each speaker and the ability to alter certain thresholds but i think i might try and get the basics set up and then get my elbows greasy :)

Will let you know how i get on with that tonight ... Nice one

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_o_grady /forum/post/20863481

Ah .. setting the speakers to small may sort out the Base issue i have been having then .. I can adjust the sub crossover from 60->120 so will play around between 70/80/90 and see which one is the best setting .. Some good advise i

I have also unearthed EQ setting for each speaker and the ability to alter certain thresholds but i think i might try and get the basics set up and then get my elbows greasy :)

Will let you know how i get on with that tonight ... Nice one

Good to hear. Yes yamaha will let you tweak some things but does have that "one size fits all" crossover. I haven't found it to be a problem and I mix and match several speakers.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:

Even audyssey often makes you change some speakers from large to small. Don't know why. .

It's actually not Audyssey that does this, rather the AVR itself. If a speaker can handle an audio signal below 50hz (regardless of it's size or paper specs), the AVR sets it to LARGE, if not, then to SMALL. The general advice is then to manually set any speakers set to LARGE, to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz. This shifts the low frequency load to the sub woofer which is powered and generally better able to handle lower frequencies. In the case of Audyssey MultEQ and MultEQ XT, an additional benefit with this setup is there are far more Audyssey sub filters then speaker filters.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_o_grady /forum/post/20863349

I currently have two systems based around Yamaha RX-V667 AVRs running with 'LARGE capable' L|R Main speakers, and my strategy is as follows:

When first configuring a system that includes (potentially!) 'large' L|R Main speakers, I run a complete setup three different ways: (1) with the L|R Main speakers set to SMALL, (2) with the L|R Main speakers set to LARGE, and (3) with the L|R Main speakers set to LARGE, plus "Extra Bass" ENABLED. Typically, one of the three configurations can be quickly eliminated, because the resulting bass response is either "too boomy" or "too thin" . . . then I pick whichever of the other two I think sounds better.

A good starting point for the AVR crossover setting is what the AVR's auto setup picked . . . based on the capabilities of all the SMALL speakers...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats for the reply on this ...

I have initially used the YPAO set up but i am not really able to set the speakers to Large or small as this is automatically set by the set up (all though i can do "manually" once finished ).. Once ran, it set L|R|Center to Large and both rear to Small (with crossover of 110) .. I have the "Extra Base" setting set so might try and switch this off ..

Another question : There is a phase setting on the back of the sub that can be toggled between 0 and 180 .. Can you explain a bit around what is involved .. From not knowing what it means, i seem to prefer a phase of 180 but not even sure what that means

Thanks

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

Quote:

[. . .] The main knock on yamaha brand lately is all speakers have to be set to the same crossover setting. [. . .]

Having only one common crossover frequency for all SMALL speakers 'pretty much' precludes creating a surround speaker configuration wherein a pan containing sound with (i) some frequencies above the highest [speaker] crossover frequency, and with (ii) other frequencies between (say) the two highest [speaker] crossover frequencies can appear to 'split', and to circle the room in opposite directions. From that perspective, the 'one common crossover frequency' requirement looks more like a feature!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie;20863640[B /forum/post/0

]It's actually not Audyssey that does this, rather the AVR itself.[/b] If a speaker can handle an audio signal below 50hz (regardless of it's size or paper specs), the AVR sets it to LARGE, if not, then to SMALL. The general advice is then to manually set any speakers set to LARGE, to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80hz. This shifts the low frequency load to the sub woofer which is powered and generally better able to handle lower frequencies. In the case of Audyssey MultEQ and MultEQ XT, an additional benefit with this setup is there are far more Audyssey sub filters then speaker filters.

I guess you're right because every mainstream receiver does this, not just brands with audyssey. Regardless who is doing what, it has become too complicated. I thought microphone auto setup started out no subwoofer set to large. With a subwoofer set all to small. Now there are too many options. The crossover setting should be independent of large/small. Somewhere it went all wrong and now it's complicated. The op is new here and is now really confused. I was trying to keep it simple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advise on this everyone. Setting all the speakers to small definately gave more of a balance to the sound. Unfortunately i still though i wasn't using the speakers full potential so i set all the speakers to large and this definately gives more of a full sound .. Still some tweaking left but almost there :)

Thanks again !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.