AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony RPTV, Yamaha RX-V667 receiver and the PS3 fat hooked up. I want to watch movies in full surround most of the time with the receiver on and occassionally watch DVDs of kids shows while the receiver is in standby so I only get audio through the TV speakers.

I can't seem to get this to work with my setup. When I put the PS3 in bitstream, I get no audio from my TV speakers in standby passthrough mode. (should I?)

Then, I tried Linear PCM. When I select the 5.1 options, I get nice sound from my receiver. When I then turn it off for passthrough, I get garbled audio from my TV speakers. When I switch the PCM options to 2-channel only, I get nice sound from the TV, but then my receiver is only playing the sound through 2-channels.

I'd like to set this up so in passthrough, I get 2 channel audio to the TV for simple use and when the receiver is on, I get the full 5.1 experience from my setup.

What am I doing wrong? And I really could've sworn this was working before the 3.7 update, but maybe I'm crazy.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsarnak /forum/post/20828904

I have a Sony RPTV, Yamaha RX-V667 receiver and the PS3 fat hooked up. I want to watch movies in full surround most of the time with the receiver on and occassionally watch DVDs of kids shows while the receiver is in standby so I only get audio through the TV speakers.

I can't seem to get this to work with my setup. When I put the PS3 in bitstream, I get no audio from my TV speakers in standby passthrough mode. (should I?)

Then, I tried Linear PCM. When I select the 5.1 options, I get nice sound from my receiver. When I then turn it off for passthrough, I get garbled audio from my TV speakers. When I switch the PCM options to 2-channel only, I get nice sound from the TV, but then my receiver is only playing the sound through 2-channels.

I'd like to set this up so in passthrough, I get 2 channel audio to the TV for simple use and when the receiver is on, I get the full 5.1 experience from my setup.

What am I doing wrong? And I really could've sworn this was working before the 3.7 update, but maybe I'm crazy.

I don't have that receiver, but I've played around with the PS3 audio options a bit. I assume you're using HDMI to go from PS3 to receiver and receiver to tv, correct? If so, you could enable "Multi-audio out" or something like that (I'm at work and can't check) on the PS3. That will send audio to both HDMI and the optical out. Set the HDMI as your preferred out on the PS3 and run it to the receiver. Then run the optical out to the tv, bypassing the receiver all together. HDMI will be in surround but the optical will be stereo only which should be fine for the tv.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark /forum/post/20833735

Then run the optical out to the tv, bypassing the receiver all together. HDMI will be in surround but the optical will be stereo only which should be fine for the tv.

Hi JPark,
, tv has optical output and not optical input?

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
That's pretty common, most HDTV's don't have an optical input. I've owned 3 and none of them have. they usually have an optical output to connect to the receiver. When you're using the internal tuner it can send Dolby Digital 5.1 to the receiver.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/20833802

Hi JPark,
, tv has optical output and not optical input?

Sorry--that's probably true for my tv too. You could do it the other way around (HDMI to tv, optical to receiver, and set the preferred audio out to optical), but if I remember right there are some audio formats that won't work over optical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.