AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
AVR: Yamaha RX-V6A / Fronts: Klipsch R-51M / Sub: Yamaha MusicCast 100 / Display: LG OLED65B6V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the quite recent Yamaha AVR RX-V6A up and running since november last year without any issues. 2 wired fronts (Klipsch) and a network subwoofer Musiccast 100. The AVR is connected to the TV (LG OLED B6V) via HDMI and gets the TV sound over ARC.

A couple of weeks ago, around the time (not exactly at that time) I updated the AVR firmware to version 1.31, the ARC sound didn't come through anymore when turning on the TV (and AVR over HDMI CEC), randomly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Up until today I can't find a pattern. Luckily I figured I can fix this by disabling and re-enabling ARC in the AVR HDMI settings whenever the sound is not coming through at startup. Another temporary fix is rebooting the AVR via the Musiccast app. But this can't be the way to go and also, it worked well for months.

Some additional facts:
  • The sound never drops during TV watching. The problem only occurs when turning on the TV (which also turns on the AVR via HDMI CEC).
  • At the moment when there is no ARC sound, all other audio inputs on the AVR work just fine.
  • At the moment when there is no ARC sound, the TV is still outputting sound. When shutting down the AVR, the TV instantly outputs sound through its own speakers.
  • At the moment when there is no ARC sound, the AVR display correctly shows that the TV input (HDMI ARC) is selected.
  • Turning the AVR off (standby) and on again doesn't fix the problem. Rebooting via the Musiccast app does fix it temporarily.
  • Most of the time, when fixing the issue by re-enbabling ARC in the AVR settings, it will still work a couple of hours later when turning on the TV/AVR. It's mostly between half a day and a day (or longer) later when the issue returns at startup.
  • Both the AVR and the LG TV have the latest firmware.
  • The setup worked well for nearly half a year.
  • I haven't tried another HDMI cable. I just can't wrap my head around it that it just "broke" partially. Perhaps I should try it anyways.

As far as I know 2 things changed around the time it started happening:
  1. I updated the Yamaha firmware to version 1.31
  2. I disabled the AVR wifi and used a UTP cable instead (works fine)
There is nothing quirky about the setup:
  • AVR: Yamaha RX-V6A with latest firmware 1.31
  • 2 wired front speakers: Klipsch R-51M
  • 1 network connected subwoofer: Yamaha Musiccast 100
  • LG OLED65B6V connected to the AVR via HDMI (using CEC/ARC)

I contacted Yamaha but didn't get any response to this question. Hopefully I can get a lead through this forum.

·
Registered
AVR: Yamaha RX-V6A / Fronts: Klipsch R-51M / Sub: Yamaha MusicCast 100 / Display: LG OLED65B6V
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure U have the latest firmware loaded in the LG display..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Both the AVR and TV run the latest firmware. Your comment made me check it again though. Thanks!
I updated my original post accordingly for future readers.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Unfortunately, in the world of CEC and arc, things can and do stop working randomly. It could be the firmware update, it could be the phase of the moon. Alas,about the only solution is either plugging and unplugging, altering options when it doesn't work or trying various incantations until it starts working again.

Doesn't matter if it worked for centuries, it can just stop working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, in the world of CEC and arc, things can and do stop working randomly. It could be the firmware update, it could be the phase of the moon. Alas,about the only solution is either plugging and unplugging, altering options when it doesn't work or trying various incantations until it starts working again.

Doesn't matter if it worked for centuries, it can just stop working.
Somehow I wish your explanation and comforting words could make me sleep well (don't worry I actually do sleep well) but as an IT guy I just know somewhere ones and zeros are causing troubles. No software breaks or fixes itself without reason, even though if often seems that way.
Anyway, thanks for the response. I'm currently performing a primitive dance in front of the AVR whenever it stops working. No luck yet.

I will actually try replacing the HDMI cable. I've read many times that this is often the troublemaker. I also read about HDMI cables that suddenly stop doing their thing. I blows my mind that a cable can break (without using scissors on them). Do miss the good old times where cables were forever and had just one standard. I'll post an update on this when I tried it.

PS: CEC is working well, bless it. It's just ARC in my case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I read your post with interest. I have just purchased an RX-V6A and am having exactly the same problem. It works fine for a short period of time and then I switch the TV and the AVR on and the sound is coming through the TV speakers. To get it working properly I push the power button on the AVR for 15 seconds and then power it up again and it works. This isn't a good long term solution though.
Did you have any luck with the HDMI cable or any other solutions?
Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. I read your post with interest. I have just purchased an RX-V6A and am having exactly the same problem. It works fine for a short period of time and then I switch the TV and the AVR on and the sound is coming through the TV speakers. To get it working properly I push the power button on the AVR for 15 seconds and then power it up again and it works. This isn't a good long term solution though.
Did you have any luck with the HDMI cable or any other solutions?
Thanks
No I haven't switched the HDMI cable yet.

Though I think it's a slightly different problem you're having. In my case there is no sound at all. The TV is sending the signal over HDMI ARC but the AVR just isn't playing it (while its display says it should).
Reading your solution by holding the power button reminds me that I haven't tried any reset solutions. Though I would hate to lose any settings. Perhaps I should try it.
Holding the power button, what does it do exactly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Small update: Like I said before, turning the AVR off (standby) and on doesn't fix the problem. But rebooting the AVR using the Musiccast app fixes it as well (probably not permanently).
So now I have 2 temporary fixes:
  1. Turning ARC off and on again in the AVR settings
  2. Rebooting the AVR in via the Musiccast app (girlfriend-friendly solution)
I'll keep updating this thread with follow-ups. Also updating the original post with this info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I haven't switched the HDMI cable yet.

Though I think it's a slightly different problem you're having. In my case there is no sound at all. The TV is sending the signal over HDMI ARC but the AVR just isn't playing it (while its display says it should).
Reading your solution by holding the power button reminds me that I haven't tried any reset solutions. Though I would hate to lose any settings. Perhaps I should try it.
Holding the power button, what does it do exactly?
I am sorry for the delay in replying. Pushing the on/off button for 15 seconds performs a soft reset I think. The power light goes off then comes on again. Then I release the button before pushing it again to power the amp up. It seems to work but is still a bit of a pain. I have bought a new fast speed HDMI cable and will try that this evening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Small update: Like I said before, turning the AVR off (standby) and on doesn't fix the problem. But rebooting the AVR using the Musiccast app fixes it as well (probably not permanently).
So now I have 2 temporary fixes:
  1. Turning ARC off and on again in the AVR settings
  2. Rebooting the AVR in via the Musiccast app (girlfriend-friendly solution)
I'll keep updating this thread with follow-ups. Also updating the original post with this info.
Also, for info, I have changed TV sets over as well - I have replaced a Samsung with an LG, but it has made no difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted to join the conversation and say that you're not the only ones having this issue. I bought my Yamaha V6A a month ago, the tv (LG OLED 65CX9LA) and the AVR are on the latest firmware.
The thing that makes this issue so complicated is, that sometimes it occurs only after 6 hours of standy. I was watching pretty late yesterday, and today i got this no sound at startup thing, sometimes the AVR can be few days in standby mode.
Switching the HDCP version to 1.4 and back to AUTO did nothing for me.
I'm clueless ... my gf is angry ...

best regards,

Karol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys, same here. Using an about 6y old Panasonic LED TV, and replaced 10y old Marantz SR-6006 (broken) with Yamaha RX-V6A one week ago. No ARC issues all the time with old AVR, now same behavior as described above, although I am not sure if it is disabling and reenabling ARC at the AVR that reproducing works as workaround. It is more like some „wild clicking“ that somehow works after some time. I just read in a German forum about a guy who has fixed the issue by turning „HDMI Standby Passthrough“ (not sure if that’s the exact name in English menu) from Auto to On. Will post here if it works for me as well. But anyway I would also be glad for any other hints! Best regards, Rolf (P.S. V6A Firmware is 1.34)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, just wanted to join the conversation and say that you're not the only ones having this issue. I bought my Yamaha V6A a month ago, the tv (LG OLED 65CX9LA) and the AVR are on the latest firmware.
The thing that makes this issue so complicated is, that sometimes it occurs only after 6 hours of standy. I was watching pretty late yesterday, and today i got this no sound at startup thing, sometimes the AVR can be few days in standby mode.
Switching the HDCP version to 1.4 and back to AUTO did nothing for me.
I'm clueless ... my gf is angry ...

best regards,

Karol

·
Registered
6 Posts
My RV-V6A just updated to 1.34. I'm not sure what it was on before. I've replaced the HDMI used for ARC to a high speed one. I'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I also have this problem. Worked fine initially but stopped either after I updated the Yamaha or got my PS5 (around the same time). I get the audio volume on the Yamaha go up/down when changing the tv volume but it doesn't output anything. I'll try the fixes mentioned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out of interest, has anyone experienced this issue with other AVRs? This is my 3rd Yamaha AVR but the first I've had issues with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I can say now my workaround of 2 weeks ago (setting HDMI Standby Passthrough from Auto to On) did the trick. I do not experience any trouble with ARC anymore after this change. But to me this still seems to be a bug in the firmware...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will also try this fix tonight, not sure if it will help though? I have picture and sound sent via HDMI from my Nvidia Shield. Everything works and sounds fantastic all day but then no sound the next day when turning everything back on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will also try this fix tonight, not sure if it will help though? I have picture and sound sent via HDMI from my Nvidia Shield. Everything works and sounds fantastic all day but then no sound the next day when turning everything back on.
Yep! Worked for me, too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts