AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old amp (Sony STR-DB940) has finally packed in, so it's time to get a new one.

These look like the most likely choices, but I've also thought about the Sony STRDB900 and DB2000, or possibly stretching to a Denon 2805.

My systems mainly used for movies (70%) although I do listen to quite a lot of music as well.

I've got the Sony Pascal speakers in a 5.1 setup.

Any thoughts on these from anyone ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also thinking about the same receivers as you. From trolling the forums, this is basically what I've gathered:
  • Both units have component video switching with upconversion from S-video/composite to component; both have an auto-setup routine for setting speaker distance/size/level/room equalization
  • The Pioneer is awesome for movies but not so great for music and vice versa for the Yamaha
  • The Pioneer has oodles of power and blows the Yamaha away
  • Many have said that the Pioneer is a steal at its price point
  • The Yamaha has an audio delay feature (to synch with TV display) if that's an important feature to you
  • The Yamaha has a bunch of extra proprietary DSP modes that many people seem to like
  • Not sure if it still applies to the newer 757 but past postings seem to indicate Yamaha receivers tend to be on the bright side

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was recently in the same position, ended up returning the 1015 for a reason I have never seen here; the front drop down door. I don't know why they designed it this way, but in order to get to crucial controls, you have to drop the front 'trap door' down. I was having the door down all the time and it just didn't look good to my wife. This may seem to be a silly factor, but sometimes, it makes all the difference.

Returned 1015 and entered the world of Yamaha 5860, loving it so far. I am an XM guy, so the built in receiver has been nice. Sadly, I don't have anything decent in the speaker dept. yet, so that may make a big difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting about the trap door. I'll have to look at the Pio's manual again to see what that's all about. I'm kinda leaning towards the Yamaha.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I got the pioneer this sunday and it's great. The point that you make about the trap door. Why are you droping the door when all the controls are on the remote?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agree if you normally use the remote for most functions and occasionally use the buttons on the receiver then the door makes no difference... if you normally use the buttons directly on the receiver then it might matter... I have a 1014 and the 9100 and like them both a lot. But I was also looking at comparable Yamaha's both times I purchased. In the end some of the testing of the amps in some of the home theater magazines convinced me to buy the Pioneers. In one of the issues they tested the 1500 series Yamaha and the VSX-52 Pioneer (the 1014/15 are clones essentially) and the Yamaha was straining to put out less than 1/2 its rated power when driving 5 channels where the Pioneer put out it's full rated power. The Pioneer also almost doubled that driving 4ohms which is a good indicator that you have a healthy amp. I really like both products but in the end the amp was the biggest deciding factor for me. Now things like the XM radio ready/lip sync features may be more important to someone else. So pick your priorities and make you decision based on them. (Do some searches and I am sure there is mention of the exact magazine and issue here somewhere... If you would like I may have it still in the basement and could look for it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.