AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pioneer list is $400 and I've never seen the 919 (or 1019) discounted. Could be because they are always out of stock. Newegg put the $600 V765 on sale today for $400. I suspect it will only be on sale a day or two.

On paper, the Yamaha would seem to have more beef in the amplifier section. Slightly higher rated output at a lower distortion level, higher power consumption (400w vs 350w) implies a more robust power supply. Feature-wise both have all I need. I will be running a 5.1 setup with only DVR and BDP as inputs.

The main thing I like about the Pioneer is its slightly smaller footprint. The V765 is going to be a tight fit. I assume MCACC vs YPAO is a toss up.

On the Home Theater Mag website, they raved about the 1019 and gave it higher ratings than the V1065 so I am assuming their opinions on 919 vs V765 would be similar.

I'm sure I would be happy with either one. I just hate to pass up a 33% off sale!

If you have an opinion of this choice, I'd love to hear it. I have ruled out everything else for various reasons.

· Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18129808

I would get the Yamaha because it has the external amp outputs but that's just me.

Why did you rule out the Denon 790/1910 vs the Pioneer? The 790 can be had for $400.

I have a Samsung BDP and the Denon can't accept bitstream audio from it (although supposedly it will with the latest firmware.) I don't know if there's any way to verify the latest firmware before buying, especially if I have to buy it online. Haven't seen it at this price at an authorized dealer.

· Registered
29,508 Posts
What? Where did you hear that? Its got DTS-MA and TrueHD decoding so it has to accept bitstream audio! That's the only way to decode those formats on a receiver is thru bitstream.

I think you may be misinformed. If not, please provide a link to this problem.

· Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18129867

What? Where did you hear that? Its got DTS-MA and TrueHD decoding so it has to accept bitstream audio! That's the only way to decode those formats on a receiver is thru bitstream.

I think you may be misinformed. If not, please provide a link to this problem.

Pretty sure I read on the Denon 590 or 790 forums that these receivers will only accept PCM output from Samsung BDP but not either of the two bitstream options. I'm trying to find that reference.

Message #2013 in the 2390Ci/890 owner's thread said this:

DenonJeff (Director Product Development) confirmed that firmware updates are being developed for the 2010 models having the Samsung/LG Blu-Ray Player bitstreaming and HDMI-CEC issues.

a. Samsung/LG Blu-Ray players (some models only), Sony BDP 460, and possibly some other models - although the HD Audio "blue light" lights up, there is no audio when the BDP is set to bitstream, rather only when it is set to PCM (keep in mind though that as long as you don't have to see the "blue light", the PCM audio quality is the same as the bitstream audio)"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.