AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YAMAHA 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver RX-V765

Denon AVR-790 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver

They are the same price right now. Which one should I buy?

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomms /forum/post/18130471

YAMAHA 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver RX-V765

Denon AVR-790 7.1 A/V Home Theater Receiver

They are the same price right now. Which one should I buy?

I just bought the Yamaha.

Could have gone either way but the Denon has a problem with Samsung BDPs and I didn't want to take a chance of getting one that didn't have the updated firmware fix.

Where is the Denon on sale? I couldn't find it at that price from an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
29,503 Posts

Quote:
Where is the Denon on sale? I couldn't find it at that price from an authorized dealer.

Electronics Expo. Its actually the 1910 receiver which is the same as the 790 with a few minor upgrades. I think the 1910 has two sets of front speakers outputs.

25% off if you use the code PRESIDENT at checkout. Comes out below $400 shipped.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomms /forum/post/18138097

Thanks guys but which one?
From a post I provided for a different thread, hope it helps:

Having owned both a Denon and a Yamaha, I slightly favor the Denon due to stronger amp design and a preference for Audessy MultiEQ over YPAO

. . . but it is a close call.

Here is a quick comparison of the two:

Both have:

- 4 HDMI,

- All the current codecs

- An adequate number of older connectors (optical, coaxial, component, etc.)

- Good company history for reliability, customer support, etc.

Yamaha 765 has:

- Likely a weaker amp section, sadly common in the x65 line this year

- Pre-amp outputs, so if you were not satisfied with the power you have the ability to add an external amp

- YPAO auto set-up

- Has two subwoofer outputs, if that is important

- An understandable manual

Denon 1910 has:

- Likely a stronger amp section (the advertised Watt/ch are pretty meaningless)

- Audessy Multi-EQ auto set-up

- No pre-amp outputs, so you are stuck with what it does have.

- A/B front speaker option, if that is important

- About the most difficult manual on the planet

Hopefully, the slight differences in features can help you break the tie!

XEagleDriver

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver /forum/post/18138168

Yamaha 765 has:

- Likely a weaker amp section, sadly common in the x65 line this year

I'm not sure about this. I've read that the 765 has the same amp as last year's V663 and both the power output specs and power consumption specs (400w for 663 and 765 vs 270w for V665 and below) would seem to confirm this. In any case, the differences between the Yamaha and Denon are likely to be inaudible.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18138408

I'm not sure about this. I've read that the 765 has the same amp as last year's V663 and both the power output specs and power consumption specs (400w for 663 and 765 vs 270w for V665 and below) would seem to confirm this. In any case, the differences between the Yamaha and Denon are likely to be inaudible.

I have yet to find a review of the 765 with power measurement testing to confirm or deny the available power, and I very well could be mistaken about this particular model (hope I am
). However, . . .

Assuming for arguments sake, the 765 amp is "the same as last year's V663" the following excerpt from a V663 review from UltimateAVmag.com would be applicable (emphasis added by me):

Quote:
"With five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, the amp reached 0.1% distortion at 60.0 watts and 1% distortion at 74.9 watts.
With seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads, it reached 0.1% distortion at 47.3 watts and 1% distortion at 57.8 watts.

Yamaha's stated distortion of 0.09% was reached at 46.9 watts with seven channels driving 8-ohm loads. This is roughly half of the 95Wpc specified by the manufacturer, which could be why the AVR seemed to run out of gas at higher listening levels."

It sure would be nice if the industry could agree on a scientifically supportable and user friendly common standard in measuring and reporting amp power, but I won't be holding my breath!

This leads me to still view the 765's amp section (probably in the power supply given the data above) as "likely" to be not as robust as the Denon. But, this is not a big concern, since the 765 has strong two-channel driven power and pre-amp outs. If the performance is less than desired, it can be mitigated by adding a 2 or 3 channel external amp.

XEagleDriver

·
Registered
981 Posts
This is why Yamaha and a separate poweramp wins for me. You buy one nice separate poweramp and you can just reuse it over and over again and you know what you have and you don't have to worry about AVR's internal amps that can be iffy from year to year or way overrated on specs. And Yamaha puts pre-outs on most all their receivers and you don't have to spend $1000 for pre-outs. Perfect bang for the buck combo is a Yamaha AVR and Emotiva amp to me.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEagleDriver /forum/post/18138693

It sure would be nice if the industry could agree on a scientifically supportable and user friendly common standard in measuring and reporting amp power, but I won't be holding my breath!

This leads me to still view the 765's amp section (probably in the power supply given the data above) as "likely" to be not as robust as the Denon.

Agree 100% with the first sentence. Never happen, unfortunately.

I see that the Denon 790/1910, rated at 90wpc has a 30% heftier power supply (based on VA) than the 765 (rated at 95) so you may be correct.

In practical terms, probably doesn't matter unless one has a very large room or inefficient speakers. I've got no volume complaints with my current 55wpc Onkyo, so I know the 765 will be fine for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm gonna go with the denon, because I have more confidence in the Denon amp.

While, I think that running a pre-amp with the Yamaha might be the best setup, it would mean a bigger investment up front...for now I want a good bang for my buck.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmacmil /forum/post/18141184

. . . I've got no volume complaints with my current 55wpc Onkyo, so I know the 765 will be fine for me.

Congrats on the 765, that receiver will provide plenty of enjoyment for a long time!
My downstairs set-up has a Yammy and it does great.

XEagleDriver

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomms /forum/post/18141662

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm gonna go with the denon, because I have more confidence in the Denon amp.

While, I think that running a pre-amp with the Yamaha might be the best setup, it would mean a bigger investment up front...for now I want a good bang for my buck.

Congrats on the Denon, it will serve you well, I really enjoy mine (a 988)!

When it is time to do the Audessy auto set-up, a great reference is by a guy named BatPig on this forum (do a search for him and/or Audessy)

XEagleDriver

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.