AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V773 when my aged Pioneer VSXD811S signaled its imminent demise. I am massively underwhelmed.

I presume that add'l tweaking of the Yamaha RX-V773 might be necessary to realize the full potential of this thing, and that I've somehow missed. I visited the various forums for prospective solutions to my dilemma. In the midst of my research, I read a couple threads that suggest receivers can be damaged specifically by Bose AM15 speakers, which I own. So, as a troubleshooting step I purchased the "Energy Take Classic 5.1" set after reading mostly favorable reviews. I wired them to the receiver, ran YPAO with multiple locations, then loaded some source material for evaluation.

I remain massively underwhelmed.

Regardless of which speakers--old or new--I connect to the Yamaha RX-V773, the sound is just... m'eh. But most disturbing, however: I must turn the volume knob to 15db to get acceptable volume level. This is precisely the symptom the Pioneer VSXD811S showed that prompted me to replace it (along with the speakers). Clearly something is wrong.

I'm stumped. New, contemporary speaker/receiver combination should not behave as poorly as their decade-old predecessors.

While I genuinely doubt I've missed any relevant settings, I am open to suggestions. Feel free to ask clarifying questions and offer advice. Meanwhile that itch on my RMA trigger finger grows...

- lot.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Firstly you need to add a subwoofer. That will solve the underwhelming problem. Ignore how the volume control works. Some of them are loaded to give more volume earlier and some later. How far you twist the knob means nothing at all.. If you are at -15 db after running YPAO that would be in the range most of us would call a normal listening level. It is 15 db below the reference or about 90 db. A little loud for me but, apparently, just right for you and your room. Good listening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
`...add a subwoofer. That will solve the underwhelming problem.'

In the interest of brevity I didn't mention my sub, presuming the significance of the dot-one part of "5.1" is common understanding in this forum (re: "Energy Take Classic 5.1"). Actually, I also have my other sub (5.2, eh?) connected to the RX-773, sooooo I'm thinking subs are not the issue here.

I've discovered more than one thread where folks report less than spectacular sound performance after running their reciever's auto-calibration widget. I may hemmorage some time fiddling with individual speaker settings and see what comes from the effort.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothian1  /t/1525163/yamaha-rx-v773-configuration-suggestions#post_24553365

`...add a subwoofer. That will solve the underwhelming problem.'

In the interest of brevity I didn't mention my sub, presuming the significance of the dot-one part of "5.1" is common understanding in this forum (re: "Energy Take Classic 5.1"). Actually, I also have my other sub (5.2, eh?) connected to the RX-773, sooooo I'm thinking subs are not the issue here.

I've discovered more than one thread where folks report less than spectacular sound performance after running their reciever's auto-calibration widget. I may hemmorage some time fiddling with individual speaker settings and see what comes from the effort.

OK. Good that you have a couple of subs. There aren't any rules. If you prefer the sound of your system without any room calibration then turn the room calibration off. It is you that has to be satisfied with the sound, not software in the receiver. The software just tries to neutralize everything. You don't like it neutralized. That's fine. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
28,911 Posts
I think the reason you are massively underwhelmed is the size of your speakers. You replaced your Bose cubes with Energy satellites which aren't much bigger. You went from dual 2.5" drivers in the Bose to a 3" woofer and 1" tweeter in the Take Classics.

If you got bigger speakers you'd get bigger sound.

What's the size of your listening area/room? Can you have larger speakers than satellites?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
afrogt: '...the reason....is the size of your speakers.'
Quote:
FMW: '...you [have to be] satisfied with the sound, not software in the receiver.'

The room is huge. The (itinerant) speakers are small. Small speakers require more volume to move a given quantity of air compared to their larger kin. My acoustic observation might simply be the cumulative product of these physics. This reality makes me grouchy. Nonetheless, it's my laymen presumption and naivety that YPAO measures room idiosyncrasies and compensates with hyperbole-inducing results.

The Energy set will hang in the bedroom suckling juice from the Pioneer's lagging 'lectric teets till she dries up at last. A set of Klipsch something-or-others will fill the main space. Perhaps my investment of high hopes tethered to low expectations will garner something better than a resounding "m'eh".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts