AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polk PSW505 subwoofer connected to a Yamaha HTR-6180 receiver (Option 1 of Polk Manual). After 2 weeks of light use a growling sound came out from my speakers (or sub?). I turned off/on my system, and the subwoofer didn't reproduce low frequencies properly after that. All controls on the sub work normaly, a sub's amplifer works but sound produced by the subwoofer is too low. I did setup (auto & manual), front speakers were set to LARGE (and SMALL as a second option), all others - SMALL. Cross over was set automatically, and it was 80 Hz. I tried to change it from 90 to 40 on subwoofer. In all situations all what I got was HIGH noise level when volume knob is set to MAX and VERY LOW output level of low frequencies. I measured a voltage on speakers terminals when listening to music. It was 1.5 - 2.8 Volts with receiver VOLUME set to -25 Db. At the same time SUB1 or SUB2 terminals had voltage 0.001 - 0.002 Volts. I'm not sure what does not work properly: receiver or sub. It seems like receiver's preamplifier died. But I am not sure if it's true. How to check if this receiver has good signal on SUB1/SUB2 Outputs? Or how to check if the sub is good?

I just receive a brand new replacement for PolkAudio PSW505 subwoofer, and a problem remains the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took a sub and a receiver to BestBuy. They told me it's a sub after making a couple of tests. I'm still in return window with Amazon, but I want to know what the hell is wrong with PolkAudio's subs? This sub is great when it works. I prefer to fix it myself rather to send it back and wait another week for replacement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts