AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Yamaha RX-V871 from Costco to replace my Onkyo. I get sound from all the channels except for the subwoofer. Tested both the XBox 360 and blueray player connected with HDMI using calibration disks. Also tried the optical output from the blueray with same result. I tried 2 different subwoofers and cables, and verified they work on my Onkyo receiver. Both the XBox and blueray also work on the Onkyo.

I followed the set up instructions and selected straight and set the subwoofer level to half way and low pass to max (bypass). When the YAPO calibration runs I get sound from the subwoofer and YAPO sets the level to -10. Even the manual test tone works on the subwoofer. It looks like there is an issue with decoding the .1 channel from external sources. I returned the first receiver and bought another one but still have the same problem.

I will try calling Yamaha in the morning and see if they are aware of any problems with this receiver.

Is anyone else having issues with the RX-V871?

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Have you tried manually increasing the -10 to -6, -4, -2 or 0?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/21123499

Have you tried manually increasing the -10 to -6, -4, -2 or 0?

Thanks for the reply Ratman. I tried several levels up to +10. I also set the front and center speakers to large and they output the bass. I then turned on double bass which removed the bass from the front and center speakers but still have no bass from the subwoofer. I realy like the features of this receiver and hope I can get it working.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King /forum/post/21126444

This might be a silly question but did you set the subwoofer to USE (YES) in the Setup/Speaker menu on the receiver?

It is set to yes. Its not a silly question, any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Okay...

1) you have a cable running from the receiver's SUB1 preout to the sub's LFE/line IN?

2) What crossover frequency is selected in the receiver?

3) and now for the sillier question. Does your sub have an "auto on" feature? Does it power on when playing BRD or XBox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got one too from my local costco, and man it sounds really good. After my setup, my sub started right away, and I use two, a BIC F12 in the rear, and a Definitive Technology PW1500 in the front. For music I selected 7 Stereo so it plays on all 7 speakers plus both subs when playing Pandora or via USB and iphone. It's freaking awesome. My Test HD DVD is the Eagles Live in Melborne running in DTS and that kicks off both my subs as well. Looks like you have the subs setup correctly, In my setup, i have "Power Amp asign = Basic" Sub = Use, Extra Bass=Yes, and xover at 80hz. All my speakers are set to Large, except for the presence sp, there is only use.

Once you get it working you'll love the fast GUI, I think it sound better than the Pioneer elite VSX-53 I had been testing for a couple of weeks. I also had a Sony STR ES4600,that was $1500 MSRP, open box at Best Buy for $500 sound pretty close, but lacked a bunch of features from the 871.

I think you problem is either your sub or cable, because there is not much to configure, I think most everyone hit on all the possibilites

·
Registered
761 Posts
YPAO defaults to large on most all speakers. This almost mutes the sub. Try manually setting your main speakers to small and set the crossover to 80Hz and see if the sub responds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who responded.

One of the sub cables would work with the Klipsch Sub-12 but not the Klipsch SW450. I had tested the subs and cables on the Onkyo receiver individually, but never as a pair. The ground tabs were not making contact with the SW450 subwoofer jack. I bent them in some and it works now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts