AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone in the USA heard when the RX-Z1 will be available at dealers? Two prior release dates have passed--May 15th and May 30th. Today I was told by my local Tweeters store that their new date is June 13th. Does anyone know why Yamaha keeps delaying its release in the USA? I understand that it has been available in Canada for a couple of weeks now. I have been waiting for some time for this unit as I am upgrading to 6.1 from 5.1 (RX-995). I passed on the RX-3200 because I decided to go for the added features this unit has, like the Burr-Brown DACs and the RAV-2000 Touchscreen Remote.

·
Registered
404 Posts
so they can clean out the rx-v1 (i got one)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nathj:

I spoke with a dealer in Farmington Hills, MI. (suburb of Detroit) yesterday who had just had three RX-Z1's delivered. Dealer's name is Paulson's in case you're interested. I have one ordered from my local dealer (in Toledo, OH) otherwise, I'd drive up to Detroit and buy one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jerry and Paul. I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet. But I am a little more optimistic since some are now available in the U.S.A. After you guys get your units set up, please post your initial impressions. I plan to do the same when mine finally shows up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Picked mine up last night. Got a hernia carrying it into the house! That puppy is HEAVY. Hope to set it up this weekend. I'll let you know what I think about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At last!! Just heard from my dealer that they have the Z1s in their warehouse and mine should be in the store tomorrow afternoon. Needless to say, I will be picking it up as soon as I get the call. As luck would have it, I happen to be off from work tomorrow anyway. Here's hoping nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have had my RX-Z1 for three weeks now and have put it through many paces to see how it would perform on various material (music and movie) that I am familiar with. I must say that I am very pleased with its performance. I have an all Definitive Technology speaker setup (BP2000TLs-mains, CLR2000-front center, BP2004s-rears, and a newly added BP-8B as a rear center). I upgraded from the RX-995 so I have increased both power from 100w to 130w as well as moving from 5.1 to 6.1. As with my previous Yamaha experiences, I like the way the Z1 mates with Definitive speakers. I am totally satisfied with the sound and its ability to drive these speakers effortlessly.

I love the PL II and Neo 6 music modes. Although many are not, I am a fan of Yamaha?s DSP modes and am enjoying some of them as well. The lack of bass management for DVD-Audio and/or SACD is a drawback, but since all of my speakers are full range it is less of one with me. Another major drawback, in my opinion is the inability of the component output to carry the on screen display signals from the receiver. It makes little sense to me to do component switching through the receiver if OSD info is not carried. Once I discovered this, I reconnected my DVD, and HDTV Sat Receiver to the inputs on my HDTV monitor. So the (3) component inputs are unused. I know this capability exists on some units by Marantz and probably others. The touch screen remote is very powerful and I am still mastering its capabilities. I am confident that soon it will be the only remote I will need. Since I have powered towers in the front and rear, I also like the three subwoofer output jacks.

All in all, I love the RX-Z1 and am not disappointed with my purchase decision

·
Banned
806 Posts
nathj,

I have the bp2000TL's with a Yamaha DSP-A1, fantastic match. The RX-Z1 looks fantastic. Did you see my post about the def tech setup guide?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I saw the setup guide you posted. I have as many of those recommendations implemented as possible within the constraints of my listening room. With the Def Techs I have, how should the impedance selector switch on the Yamaha be set? The upper position is for 4 ohms and above, and lower position is for 8 ohms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took your advice and emailed def tech. They recommended the 4 ohms & higher impedance selection position because def techs, especially the powered towers, generally operate below 8 ohms.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.