AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would sound better? streaming via hdmi from a oppo 95 to the yamaha and letting its dacs decode the sound or going from the oppos analog outs? My speakers are Def Tech BP/CLR 3000s.

thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Even though the 95 has far better DAC's, the output from Bitstream is almost always hotter (louder) when at the same Volume Setting.

You will really need to Level Match to get the clearest indicator of how the 2 truly compare. The good thing is you can always toggle between the 2. I would definitely use the 95 for CD Playback.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys /forum/post/0

What would sound better? streaming via hdmi from a oppo 95 to the yamaha and letting its dacs decode the sound or going from the oppos analog outs? My speakers are Def Tech BP/CLR 3000s.

thanks,

Jim

I think that the oppo 95 dac is better than the burr brown dac in the z11. However, you would lose all the benefits from YPAO if you went with the analog connection. It's debatable whether the trade off is worth it.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Try it out and let us know

I would only use DACs of a player for 2-channel music for the reasons already given - otherwise, you would lose any DSP processing such as bass management or YPAO. So I would use digital for multi-channel sources.

·
Registered
14,760 Posts
I do not have the RX-Z11 but used the 95 with an Onkyo 886. I found I preferred the MCH analog outs of the 95 than using HDMI with Audyssey. But you might find using digital with YPAO might be your preference. Best to try both in your system to know for sure

The 95 has full bass management, distance compensation and channel level settings with test tones. All of these speaker settings are far more tweakable than the speaker settings with the 83/83SE. So by using the MCH analog outs of the 95 you are not losing bass management capability. But as Michael states you will lose the use of YPAO when using the MCH analog input of the RX-Z11.

Bill

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys /forum/post/20795785

thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have an Oppo BDP 95 connected to a Yamaha RX Z11 with the analog 7.1 connections (using the dedicated stereo connection for the front L/R channels for the multi-channel connection) as well as using the HDMI connection.

I regularly use both, depending upon the source material and how well it was recorded. For well recorded source material (cds, SACDs - both stereo and multi-channel, DVD-A disks, DVDs and Blu-rays) I usually prefer the analog output of the 95. For music and movies that would benefit from some sound enhancement, I select the HDMI connection which allows you to use the 40 Sound Field Programs available on the Z11 (each program has several parameters you can further tweak). The 11.2 channel DSP unit on the Z11 is one of the most sophisticated and best sounding units available today and it certainly has its place when it is set up correctly and paired with the right equipment. But I've also found that a lot of both stereo and multi-channel music (and movies) sound great without any further enhancement needed using the analog outs of the 95 (this was a real suprise to me - the 95's DACs are that good!)

My advice: Enjoy Both !

Brad

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parys /forum/post/20795785

thanks,

Jim

Unless something is wrong (i.e. defective) with the DACS in the receiver or the Oppo, it shouldn't make any difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts