AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recognizing that the debate between separates and all-in-one receivers is akin to the debate on abortion, I'm interested in what people think specifically about going with the new Yammy Z9 or with the B&K Reference 50 and a 7.1 amp.

I'm interested in the Yammy for a couple of reasons: (i) video upconvert/downconvert; (ii) DCDi processing; and (iii) the IIx spec. The B&K, as far as I can tell, offers none of these features, but it is (IMHO) a better build and sounds incredible. A feature that I like with the Yammy--the ability to access the OSD via component--might even be a drawback, as the inclusion of the OSD on the component circuit could introduce noise (as, I suppose, could all of the upconvert/downconvert circuits).

I haven't been able to hear the Yammy yet (can't find anyone in Manhattan with it in stock) so I can't compare on that basis, but I had a Yammy receiver in the past and was happy with it but not overwhelmed. Another consideration, albeit not a big factor in my ultimate decision, is that my cabinet has shelves that are only 8" apart, so if I go with the Yammy (at 8 1/4" or so), I need a new cabinet.

I don't care one bit about the remote (won't use it anyway) or about the 9.1 ability of the Yammy (only going to use 7.1).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Check out the " I just got my Yamaha RX-Z9 today" thread further down this thread. - I've never heard anything negative from a sound perspective about the B&K's, the only negative things I've heard are related to features. There are a couple of guys that have the unit on that thread, their reviews are pretty basic, one guy did state that the Yamaha sounds better than his old Denon 5800; which shared top dog honors with the B&K 307 as the best sounding reciever for a few years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.