AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have hooked up my Yammy receiver to my MAC and I am able to stream internet radio to the receiver.

My problem is, that i cant stream music from itunes to the receiver. Does the RXV3900 onnly work with Windows media player and not itunes??? Whats Windows Media Connect 2.0. Can this be used on a mac???

I think the easiest way of getting music from my mac to this receiver might be with an airport express??

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I am probably one of the resident Mac/3900 experts. I might be missing some options, but this is what I know -

First, Win Media service is what the 3900 was designed to work with. iTunes is not a standard media server, so it does work.

Win Media is not very friendly for MAC users if you are ripping to MP4 (AAC.) So even if you copied your files to a PC, that would not help.

Airport Express works pretty well. Occasionally, it has dropouts. It's my main tool to stream iTunes to my 3900. If you go that route, you might try optical and not analog. You can supposedly control a Mac with an iPhone to change music.

3900 is designed to work with a media server programs which adhere to a certain standard. Win Media and Twonky are too such programs.

Twonky will work with the 3900. In my opinion, it's less than ideal though. It has some quirks. But you can download a trial of Twonky for the Mac and try it if you like. It's advantage over Win Media is (a) it runs on Mac (b) it knows about iTunes libraries and playlists, and (c) it can stream AAC files.

There might be other media server programs you can try

There are other media server programs that work with Apple which you might want to look into.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmm..... I thought as much. I am already using an airport express from my mac to my old receiver to power some speakers in the kids room and the outdoor pool area.

Since the Yammy had "Network" features I was hoping that I would be able to stream itunes to it.

Looks like I will have to buy another airport express? Is the optical connection that much better than the analog?

You might also be able to help me with this question. If I get apple TV, can I send Divx type movies from my MAC to the TV and amp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not sure about Apple TV, sorry. I think the Apple TV might be a media server though. If you had one of those, the 3900 might see it for music.

You would want to double check on that.

Even if it's not a media server, in the sense that the 3900 can see it, you would still be able to use it to play music. It might be the easiest solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts