AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yamaha "Subwoofer trim" feature (various AVRs) - what's it do again?

Just for fun... Mostly.

My RX-V775 manual defines the Subwoofer trim feature (under Options | Volume trim) as "Fine-adjusts the subwoofer volume." Pretty simple. Tweak your subwoofer gain (without going into Setup, Manual Setup, Level). Got it.

But the Yamaha product page for the RX-V675 (shares the same manual as the -775) lays this fancy pants info on us:

The Subwoofer Trim Control enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output. This will result in a cleaner, more focused sound stage while providing a seamless frequency response. When subwoofer frequency overlap occurs in conventional systems, the overall sound is “pushed” toward the subwoofer. Subwoofer Trim Control takes care of this by separating the low subwoofer frequencies cleanly, thus stabilizing the front stage while providing a well-balanced enhanced bass sound. [emphasis added]

The Yamaha RX-V575 page says it too. The RX-V777? Yep. And the HTR-7065. Maybe the RX-A3040 page has more information? No, exact same blurb.

Woah. :eek: "Enhances the low frequencies by avoiding overlap with the front speaker output."[1] That sounds more like it's adjusting the roll-off of the frequencies around the bass management sub cross over freq (On Screen | Setup | Manual Setup | Configuration | Bass Cross Over).[2]

In this thread, kriktsemaj99 said when this feature appeared in 2012:

... There could be minor tweaks, and the "Subwoofer Trim" feature is new (it seems to be an attempt to make the sub blend better with the main speakers near the crossover frequency). Overall, it's very similar to the 3010 (I'm ignoring the 4K video support because I don't think it's important right now).

Edit: now the manual is out I can see that "Subwoofer Trim" is nothing special. It's just a volume trim for the subwoofer that can be set (manually) per input, in case some audio sources have too much or too little bass.
I'd conclude the same from the manual. Actually, on the 675/775, under Options | Volume trim, Volume trim is for "Input: [current input]" but Subwoofer is "Input: all."

But ... WTH, Yamaha. Which is it? Volume trim or super-sophisticated cross over adjustment to enhance sound stage goodness? :confused: :cool:

[1] I wish I had a dollar for every place that Yamaha surely uses the word enhance(s) in their marketing, technical support, documentation, employee lunch counter menus.

[2] Background info: this adjusts the cross over point for low-bass transitioning to the subwoofer when speakers are set to "small' in any mode other than Pure Direct.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yamaha "Subwoofer trim" feature (various AVRs) - what's it do again?

Yep. ... Or gain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts