AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys one of my best friends picked up a UPA-7 to biamp his two channel system. He said it really woke up the system and this guy really knows his stuff. So while I haven't heard it yet (we live in different cities) when he says he's rediscovering his music I wholly believe him. I had been wanting to pickup a good two channel amp but didn't want to spend more than 500 bucks. As it sits now Emotiva has a 2 channel amp now available for 299. Which is very tempting, and somethign I might consider once I get a new car.



But my question is will I hear much of a difference? I know the UPA7 is an excellent piece of equipment and its appears that the UPA2 is also an excellent piece of equipment, but the receiver I have right now is also very good for a receiver. Will I hear much of a difference during my 2 channel music listening with this UPA-2 from Emotiva? Or would I be spending money for very little sound difference?


My main speakers are the Swan 5.1's, sub is the SVS PB12.


Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/15579008


Guys one of my best friends picked up a UPA-7 to biamp his two channel system. He said it really woke up the system and this guy really knows his stuff. So while I haven't heard it yet (we live in different cities) when he says he's rediscovering his music I wholly believe him. I had been wanting to pickup a good two channel amp but didn't want to spend more than 500 bucks. As it sits now Emotiva has a 2 channel amp now available for 299. Which is very tempting, and somethign I might consider once I get a new car.



But my question is will I hear much of a difference? I know the UPA7 is an excellent piece of equipment and its appears that the UPA2 is also an excellent piece of equipment, but the receiver I have right now is also very good for a receiver. Will I hear much of a difference during my 2 channel music listening with this UPA-2 from Emotiva? Or would I be spending money for very little sound difference?


My main speakers are the Swan 5.1's, sub is the SVS PB12.


Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions.

I'm guessing probably not. For 2 channel listening, your Yamaha should be hitting it's rated power numbers and that is pretty much a wash with the power ratings on the UPA-2. Remember you need to double the power to get an audible difference, in your case something in the ball park of 250 wpc.


Your speakers aren't fantastically efficient (90 db), but also not that difficult to drive (8 ohm). So you aren't dealing with the kind of speakers that cause the amp sections on most AVRs to choke. So I'm just not seeing how you would be going to benefit dramatically from a new amp.


But I'm from the "amp is an amp" school of thought and are dubious about how minor equipment changes can cause all sorts of adjectives to manifest.


But depending on how much you believe in magic, your mileage may vary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15579272


I'm guessing probably not. For 2 channel listening, your Yamaha should be hitting it's rated power numbers and that is pretty much a wash with the power ratings on the UPA-2. Remember you need to double the power to get an audible difference, in your case something in the ball park of 250 wpc.


Your speakers aren't fantastically efficient (90 db), but also not that difficult to drive (8 ohm). So you aren't dealing with the kind of speakers that cause the amp sections on most AVRs to choke. So I'm just not seeing how you would be going to benefit dramatically from a new amp.


But I'm from the "amp is an amp" school of thought and are dubious about how minor equipment changes can cause all sorts of adjectives to manifest.


But depending on how much you believe in magic, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the response



Friend of mine had an older technics (sp?) receiver that was probably 15 years old to power his PSB T45's so I was not at all surprised at the difference he heard especially since he is biamping and going to a better power source.


I do not believe in magic, but I do believe good equipment makes a difference, which is why I bought a more expensive receiver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/15579306


I do not believe in magic, but I do believe good equipment makes a difference, which is why I bought a more expensive receiver

Very nice quote me friend.I guess one way to find out is get the amp and if it doesnt suit you just send it back and eat the shipping which will be a lot cheaper to send back the UPA-7 vs. XPA-5 due to wait weight.


Join us over on the Emotiva Emotions thread as I am sure you get many replies from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 /forum/post/15579306


especially since he is biamping and going to a better power source.)

Unless you have some REALLY expensive or elaborate speakers, with oodles of drivers. Biamping doesn't usually make much of a difference. Your typical one or two tweeters and and such just don't use that much power. It's the lower midrange/bass drivers that suck up all the power. So if you have the tweeters and the mid/bass biamped separately, you might only be "saving" 10%-15% by doing that, which simply isn't audible.,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/15585961


Unless you have some REALLY expensive or elaborate speakers, with oodles of drivers. Biamping doesn't usually make much of a difference. Your typical one or two tweeters and and such just don't use that much power. It's the lower midrange/bass drivers that suck up all the power. So if you have the tweeters and the mid/bass biamped separately, you might only be "saving" 10%-15% by doing that, which simply isn't audible.,

Good to know, I have two 6.5 inch drivers, a midrange driver and a tweeter, so not many drivers.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top