AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Yamaha 1900. I have an extra 5 channels amplifier. Now I am planning to hook up the Yamaha 1900 to play on Front, Left & Center speakers only, and then hook up the pre out (Surround & Surround Back) of 1900 to amplifier to play 4 surround & back speakers by amplifier. Can I do that way & it will not damage my receiver at all? I read on the Yamaha manual book, it say:" When you make connections to the Pre Out jacks, DO NOT make any connections to the SPEAKERS terminals." I just want to make sure I can do half & half like that or I can only have either choice?. Thank you very much for your prompt response.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz2pp
I just got a new Yamaha 1900. I have an extra 5 channels amplifier. Now I am planning to hook up the Yamaha 1900 to play on Front, Left & Center speakers only, and then hook up the pre out (Surround & Surround Back) of 1900 to amplifier to play 4 surround & back speakers by amplifier. Can I do that way & it will not damage my receiver at all? I read on the Yamaha manual book, it say:" When you make connections to the Pre Out jacks, DO NOT make any connections to the SPEAKERS terminals." I just want to make sure I can do half & half like that or I can only have either choice?. Thank you very much for your prompt response.
Yes, you can definitely hook it up the way you are describing. It will be perfectly safe.

The comment in the manual is likely just giving configuration advice (e.g. it doesn't make sense to have two sets of "front" speakers playing at the same time), or warning against connecting one set of speakers to the speaker outputs of BOTH the receiver and an external amp (which could damage the receiver and the amp -- you shouldn't connect the outputs of two separate amps, normally). Technically, it should be fine to use the pre-outs and speaker outs for separate channels on the receiver, or even using both outputs for a single channel (provided you don't try to combine the outputs of both amps).

-Max

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hooking up an amp and using an internal amp for the same channel does put a very small load on that pre amp channel. But people do this all the time with subwoofer pre out for two subs.

I see no real issue with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts