Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Yamaha V2400 and have a question about the on-screen display through the component jacks.

I'm playing 1080i HDTV and routing through the 2400 to a projector. I have the setup of the 2400 set so that it is supposed to route the OSD through the component video montitor out jacks when using the setup menu. However, this does not appear to be functioning and I cannot access the setup menu w/o using the S-Video path to my projector.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Is this related to the 1080i source info (ie might it work in 720p/480p)?

As a second part of this - any clue WHY it appears that the unit will not also output the Volume level through Component when changing volume, like it does through the S-Video outputs?

Thanks,

-Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jim:

Not an expert by any means, but on my 2400 it does allow one to see the menu through the component connection.

The way that it works for me is that from a 1080i source (HD Sat) on component, if I select the setup menu on the remote, my TV (Sony 32 Wega HD Tube) the TV appears to change modes FROM 1080i TO what I think is probably 480i still through the component connection of course. The TV changes to 4:3 for sure, but as the mode its hard to tell since I don't get the HD picture - just a dark background screen and the menu.

You do not still see the background image like you do in s-video connections.

This is obviously a limitation, but hey, it works. Shot in the dark here - maybe the problem you are having is related to the projector not allowing this mode change.

Quote:
Originally posted by jmaino
... I have a Yamaha V2400 and have a question about the on-screen display through the component jacks.

I'm playing 1080i HDTV and routing through the 2400 to a projector. I have the setup of the 2400 set so that it is supposed to route the OSD through the component video montitor out jacks when using the setup menu. However, this does not appear to be functioning and I cannot access the setup menu w/o using the S-Video path to my projector.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Is this related to the 1080i source info (ie might it work in 720p/480p)?
As above, the 2400 will not be transparent when using OSD in component (unlike s-video) connections so I suspect they disabled the volume showing on the image - makes sense since it appears to change modes to get the OSD and further the source is NOT shown while the OSD display it up. Would be annoying as hell to have the display modes changed and loose the source while increasing/lowering volume.

Quote:
As a second part of this - any clue WHY it appears that the unit will not also output the Volume level through Component when changing volume, like it does through the S-Video outputs?

Thanks,

-Jim [/b]
Good luck to you Jim, there was an older thread on the 2400 that discussed this OSD issue you may want to track down also.

TowJumper

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, TowJumper,

If what you see is a change from 1080i to likely 480i, then you've hit on the problem, in my case. My PJ (InfocusX1) cannot display 480i on the Component VGA port (the one to use for 1080i/720p).

Thanks,

-Jim

·
Registered
201 Posts
Jim,

The 1400/2400 will output its menu/volume on a gray backround when connected via component UNLESS you happen to be playing back a component source. For example: I have the component monitor out connected to my display, my DVD player connected via component to my receiver, and my digital cable box connected via s-video to my 1400. Before I turn on the DVD player, I can view the 1400's menu on a gray backround. When I turn the DVD player on, I cannot use OSD at all. However, when I am watching digital cable, the 1400s OSD will be superimosed on the picture. (no grayback) There is much talk about this elsewhere on the forum as well.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yama & Jim:

I just got home from work and tested the OSD through component to be sure what I posted above was correct, as I had posted from memory.

With my Dish 811 set for 1080i HD through component I can get the setup menu (480i looks like - no source background) WHILE I am sending the 1080i signal.

With my Panasonic RP62 DVD sending progressive though component I CAN get the menu also - but again NOT the volume. Not sure why this will not work for you Yama - did you try the setup menu specifically with the DVD on?

Later guys.

·
Registered
201 Posts
TowJumper: I was mistaken as I posted from work and could not verify. When DVD is selected, I can see the menu and volume. Howver, when I turn the DVD player on, the 1400 will no longer display volume. When you access the menu, it appears on a gray screen. When watching any other source, the unit will superimpose the menu on the playback source.

So it appears that when you watch a source connected to the 1400/2400 via component, the menu will appear on a gray backround. Anything connected via composite/s should appear over the source.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yamaklipsch
TowJumper: I was mistaken as I posted from work and could not verify. When DVD is selected, I can see the menu and volume. Howver, when I turn the DVD player on, the 1400 will no longer display volume. When you access the menu, it appears on a gray screen. When watching any other source, the unit will superimpose the menu on the playback source.

So it appears that when you watch a source connected to the 1400/2400 via component, the menu will appear on a gray backround. Anything connected via composite/s should appear over the source.
http://www.epixpc.com/files/Nun.jpg I'M USING THE INTERWEB!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.