AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bestbuy has the sony on sale now for $374. The cheapest I can find the Yamaha is $319. I plan to add the BIC 12" sub with pioneer Andrew Jones speakers. I'm not sold on cnet reviews... so is the Sony worth the additional $60? I will only use 5.1, not 7.2. And airplay and wireless are nice, but I also have an apple tv and smart tv.

My thoughts are that the sony is a little more powerful and maybe user friendly? Additional features I'm not sure I need... so this is more about power and sound quality and less about the additional features. The sony is missing component inputs, but that really only affects my Wii which is hardly used but I'd like to keep the system easy to use.

Room is open, 10' ceilings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that was kind of my thinking.

Should I wait a month or so and expect a price drop as the 2014 models come out?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Possibly. That's a gamble though. Willing to take it? Prices will drop no doubt and you should be able to find something in your budget. Look at it as an investment and not just another purchase to be made again in the next year or two. Buy something that you feel will last a long time even if it's to be used somewhere in another room. That damn upgrade bug will always bite you anyway. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
prices seem to be dropping a little. Down to $299 in most places... just need the pioneer speakers to go on sale now.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
My first choice, in that price range, would be the Harman-Kardon AVR 1700, which you can get for $299.

I think you will get a bit better sound quality with HK in most cases.

You don't get much from Sony or Yamaha at that price level IMO.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1522201/yamaha-v475-vs-sony-dn840#post_24511124

My first choice, in that price range, would be the Harman-Kardon AVR 1700, which you can get for $299.

I think you will get a bit better sound quality with HK in most cases.

You don't get much from Sony or Yamaha at that price level IMO.
Harmon-Kardon budget amps are CRAP! They don't get any where need the power they say they do.

The Sony would have about double the power as the HK judging from a recent Sound and Vision test of the model above the Sony 840(The 1040) and the results of the HK1700.

The HK AVR-1700 got horrible results 2.5/5 in audio performance....( http://www.soundandvision.com/content/harman-kardon-avr-1700-av-receiver ) Wow that thing must be AMAZING

Talk about power:
Quote:
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:

0.1% distortion at 32.8 watts

1% distortion at 39.5 watts
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/harman-kardon-avr-1700-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

OP- Sony is a better buy. has more features and gets closer to its claimed power output unlike the Yamaha

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
The sony brand does bench test with more power than Yamaha. The lower level sony have many bugs. Including noise. Yamaha has more features, cleaner sound, no bugs and way more reliable overall. As long as you use a subwoofer the yamaha will play as loud as the speakers can handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts