AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!

I am building a house and need to decide on a receiver. I am using 5 in-ceiling Klipsch CDT-5800s and a Klipsch SUB-12 for 5.1 in my great room. I will also be using the 2nd zone to go to my ensuite (1 CDT-5800) and rear porch which will be controlled by volume knobs.

I looked at the Denon avr2310ci but read that it is very hard to setup and has a bad remote, etc. But it does have the Audyssey system which I've read good things about. avr3310ci also has internet radio, but not too many other changes.

The Yamahas also look good for the price. On the low end I was looking at the 765, but then liked the features of the 2065, and then there's the 1065 in between. I like that this has pre-outs and could run a sub in the 2nd zone.

I threw in the Pioneers into the mix because a co-worker recommended them, but I don't really know anything about it.

I will be running all of my components (DVD, PS3, HD cable box) to the receiver and then one HDMI to the TV.

I'm not sure if some of the higher end receivers are overboard for what I am doing so if you have comments/suggestions about that as well it would be great.

Thank you!

· Registered
523 Posts
You mention that you want to run one HDMI cable to the TV. I am running a Yamaha v861 and it does NOT pass the signal unaltered to my TV. I talked to Yamaha about it and they claimed that the pass through does nothing to the signal, but there is a huge difference in black level between running the devices through the 861 vs direct connection to the TV. FYI this is using an older Mitsubishi TV with DVI input (not HDMI) so your mileage may vary.

I have heard that the Denon does not have this problem, and if I get a 3310CI as planned then I will find out for sure.

I had a Pioneer before the Yamaha - had to replace it when it completely died after the warranty expired. Other than that I was happy with it, and I am seeing build quality issues from everyone these days given the move to lowest cost mfg processes possible.

Edit: I am looking to replace the Yamaha with a newer Denon due to an ancient Sony 2 channel receiver downstairs having issues, not because I am unhappy with the Yamaha. Going to rotate the Yamaha downstairs to the 2 channel setup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.