AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post in the forum. Please pardon me for any mistakes/errors.

I am in the lookout for a new AV receiver for my Home Theater setup. My requirements are video upscaling (composite to HDMI), HDMI audio and atleast 5.1. I have narrowed down to two models I like. Yamaha RX-V565BL and the Denon AVR-590. Both are similar priced. I am more inclined towards the Denon, but heard the manual and setup may be a problem. The Denon also had an additional S-video input which might be handy when my wife wants to do some power point presentations.

Here is my setup.

pt-ax200U projector.

panasonic BD60k bluray player.

Bose front/rear speakers (100w)

polk audio center/sub(100w)

I would like to get some suggestions on these two receivers.

Thanks,

Ram

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I know nothing about the Denon.

I know that the Yamaha has limited analog inputs which may not be a problem for you. I wondered how that affects zone audio, which also may not be a problem for you. The Yamaha uses chip amplifiers, which may be pefectly fine, but some people have a bias against them.

The Yamaha has a pretty weak power supply. You can compare max power consumption figures and weights, and maybe get an idea how that compares to the Denon.

Seems to me the Denon 590 had some annoying limitation, but I could be wrong, and the limitation may not affect you. I suggest careful research to determine any limitations of either receiver which would affect you.

Sometimes, it's worth paying a little more when dealing with this budget level, because you sometimes get more power and features for another $100. This is because the most cuts in power and features are at this price level. Unfortunately, with Yamaha, you have to move to the RX-V765 to get more power.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The S-Video on the 590 is for I-Pod use only. I believe a lot people tried to get it to work with other devices and failed. That said, I would still go with the Denon for the reasons MichaelHuman mentions. Plus, I prefer Audyssey to YPAO. For setup, use Batpig's Denon-to-English guide found here:

http://batpigworld.com/index.html

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Personally I'd be more concerned with getting some polk speakers up front to help with matching the polk center and providing better sound quality. Keep the bose if you want for surround duty.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
owned a Yamaha V663 as a pre/pro and it sounded very harsh to me. I don't have a lot of experience with Denon, but if it were MY decision between the two, I would go Denon. You also might take a very hard look at the Onkyo/Integra lineup. I have the Integra DHC-40.1 (pre/pro, but you can get into the AVR's as well), and the sound quality on digital sources is atleast on par with my trusty 'ol Lexicon MC-1. Also consider the warranty....Integra has a 3 year and with the right dealer they can swap out a bad unit within the first 6 months of purchase (if that ever were to happen). Audyssey is pretty slick also. One of the great new things that I like about the 40.1 (and higher models) is the firmware update via ethernet connection. I think many AVR's are going this way and as a bonus, I get to listen to commercial-free Pandora via ethernet. Just food for thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'm a yamaha fan. But yamaha has recently been skimping on the power supply of the lower end. I guess it's a cost saving measure.

Go with the Denon.

BTW: Don't use SVideo connect with the computer power point. It will be blurry as heck! Use HDMI output, or get a DVI->HDMI converter!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will go with Denon AVR-590 and refer to batpig for more instructions. Thanks everyone.

Ram

1 - 7 of 7 Posts