Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been doing a lot of HT research on this site and would like to thank you all for your informative posts.

I'm looking at upgrading my old Technics 5.1 receiver but I still don't have much of a budget. I'd like to not spend more than around $300. I'm looking at either the Sherwood RD-8601 or the Yamaha HTR-5850. I know they are both budget receivers but they should work for me and be a big improvement over the old Technics. I've not seen anyone post on the 8601 except the Sherwood Rep. Does anyone have this receiver?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I'll ask the question this way. Does anyone have, or has anyone heard a Sherwood RD-8601? I can go and listen to the Yamaha, but nobody around me in a B&M store has the Sherwood. Maybe nobody has this receiver, does anyone have good/bad things to say about the Sherwood budget stuff?

It sure is a bummer having a small budget. If my budget was larger, I could get 18 people to respond and discuss how I'm not happy because I have to turn my volume knob up higher than my buddy's system. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
No opinion on either except that Yammies are pretty well regarded. You can also get a pretty nice refurbed receiver for < $300. An HK235 from Harman Direct or an Onkyo 602 for < $250. Either of these, IMO, would be an upgrade to the two your looking at.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
well considering that the Sherwood low-end stuff like the 61xx and 71xx receivers are quite well-regarded as good performers for their price ($70-160ish) and their high end 965 series are also well regarded in their range, the middle stuff should be respectable at the least.

I had a Sherwood 6108 100x5 surround receiver that I got for $70 and it was quite feature complete and a good enough performer until I upgraded to a HK235+Rotel RMB1075.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for their input. The main reason I had leaned toward these two was because of their component upconversion. Now I'm trying to decide if that's all that important. If I drop that off, I may get better sound from another receiver. I'll still have to knock this around a while, but I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yamaha all the way. They make some great stuff for the price. I have a older 5635 that I got at B stock over a year ago and it is the best $151 I ever spent for a receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.