AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have any educated predictions on when Yamaha will replace the WXA-50 streaming amplifier? They have had this on the market for quite some time. I am disappointed that they are not going to update it with Amazon Music given that it appears to be their main streaming product, yet newer Yamaha HT receivers do have Amazon Music. But, I have two other Yamaha receivers in my house, and want a MusicCast compatible small amp for my home office, so this would need to be the one. But, I would hate to buy this now and then see them come out with a WXA-60 in a few months that includes Amazon Music (HD?), USB DAC functionality, and whatnot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good question. I didn't know the WXA-50 wasn't updated with Amazon Music. I have an RX-A780 receiver and a WX-021 speaker. They both had a firmware updates yesterday and now Amazon Music HD is available and working w/out any issues. I'm hopeful the Yamaha preamps will be updated or replaced soon as I'd like Amazon HD in my family room.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I don't know for sure but I doubt it will be updated anytime soon. Could one of their networked receivers work instead or is size important?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. I didn't know the WXA-50 wasn't updated with Amazon Music. I have an RX-A780 receiver and a WX-021 speaker. They both had a firmware updates yesterday and now Amazon Music HD is available and working w/out any issues. I'm hopeful the Yamaha preamps will be updated or replaced soon as I'd like Amazon HD in my family room.
I emailed them and they confirmed that they are not going to update it with Amazon - annoying considering they are pitching this as their streaming product. I would be curious as to which preamp you have that has not been updated with Amazon HD. I have been considering getting the CX-A5200, and I figured that they are surely keeping this flagship product updated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know for sure but I doubt it will be updated anytime soon. Could one of their networked receivers work instead or is size important?
This is for my desk, so size is the issue - no space for a full-size receiver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, late response (or comment): WXA-50 is really a great amp for it's purpose - I have two, mostly for multiroom purposes, but the sound is amazing for the size.

Yamaha is though treating this product badly when it comes to upgrades. I had almost a 2 year discussion with Yamaha support, as the Spotify Connect feature didn't support podcasts (strange, but true). It turned out that Yamaha just claims to have Spotify Connect support, they are not certified - meaning they are obliged to upgrade the API at least once a year. Eventually Yamaha did an upgrade that resolved that issue. This happened just after I got the offer to replace the equipment I have (2 WXA-50 and 2 WX-010 - same problem with both). The main problem is - there is no replacement for WXA-50 - they keep marketin it claiming support for Spotify.

Now I have discovered another issue - Google Assistant works (with some effort) together with the amp and I can say like "play favorite 1 in the kitchen". But I discovered I can't ask Spotify to play in the kitchen. I thought this was a Spotify issue, but also this turns out to be a Yamaha issue - they claim that they only support this for models released 2018 and later.

So - do not trust that Yamaha will do any additions to the WXA-50 shortly - they are amazinlgy slow in that area. Recommendation? The sound is great and multi-room works fine, it supports Bluetooth, AirPlay and some music services, but Yamaha is a real lagger when it comes to keeping products up-to-date on the software, so if that is important, I would wait. I think Yamaha's product tactics are really strange: either they should keep the products up-to-date or replace them.Should I do it all over again - I would probably go elsewhere - but the WXA-50 is still a really nice little amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts