AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a sub $300 HTIB and really like the looks of these three and they meet the price requirments. Can anyone help me out in choosing one or at least ruling one out? It will be setup in a small/med room with DVD, XBox, Cable, and chance for HDTV in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, rule out the HT-S580, its just a redesigned S8230 with a passive sub (Passive < Powered Sub) whereas the S8230 has a powered sub and costs only $200 and is pretty much the same as the S580, except for the obvious cosmetic differences. Between the Onkyo HT-S8230 and the YHT-160, I would go with the Yamaha since they seem to have better satellite speakers (more efficient, more clarity), and it has a powered subwoofer. If you have the cash and prefer a more clean sound, I would say go for the Yamahas. As an owner of the 8230 system, and having listened to the Yamahas... I would comfortably say that it's worth the extra money for the YHT-160. To me the Yammis have a more crisp and full sound, while the Onkyos can sound a tad muddy at times. Remember, Onkyo is primarily a receiver company, not a speaker company. Yamaha on the other hand is a producer of both quality speakers and receivers. Have a listen for yourself and see what you like before purchasing. What sounds good to me doesn't necessarily sound as good to you. Also the Yamaha offers more digital inputs (a necessity for HDTV, your cable, DVD, and Xbox, as well as HD component switching, where the Onkyo does not).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I did purchase the Yamaha yht-160 today and so far I love it. The sound is very clear and the bass is awesome. I did replace the speaker and subwoofer cables that came with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thank you guys for the info from me as well! i just posted a similar question before i saw this. is it true the yamaha has less power per channel than the onkyo though? how much does upgraded speaker wire run these days?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Both Onkyo and Yamaha pack their HTIBS with entry level receivers, which is a good thing because they are decent receivers. Onkyo puts a new model number on theirs, Yamaha doesn't. Regarding watts per channel, don't worry about it, because both inflate their numbers. Onkyo even inflates their HTIB numbers from the same unit that sells separately. It's marketing...

They will do the job equally well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
Both Onkyo and Yamaha pack their HTIBS with entry level receivers, which is a good thing because they are decent receivers. Onkyo puts a new model number on theirs, Yamaha doesn't. Regarding watts per channel, don't worry about it, because both inflate their numbers. Onkyo even inflates their HTIB numbers from the same unit that sells separately. It's marketing...

They will do the job equally well.
what do you mean they do/dont put new model #'s on?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am up in the air regarding the yht-160 and the onkyo 780. The onkyo came down at CC plus I have a 10% coupon, so I returned the yht-160 and will get the 780. I had the yam for a week and I was impressed...was a little dissappointed though with the performance of the surround speakers...as I had to jack them up 10dB to really get a contribution from them. The speakers on the onkyo seem better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agresbach
how much does upgraded speaker wire run these days?
Just go to your favorite hardware store and buy 16 or 14 awg wire (regular type or "speaker").

Besides the thickness it DOES NOT MATTER what wire you get. The ONLY thing that matters for speaker wire is the resistance of the wire, as long as you keep it below about 5% of the impedance of your speakers then you will be fine. The wire resistance is proportional to the length and inversely proportional to the cross sectional area of the wire (the bigger the better...).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinForHD
I am up in the air regarding the yht-160 and the onkyo 780. The onkyo came down at CC plus I have a 10% coupon, so I returned the yht-160 and will get the 780. I had the yam for a week and I was impressed...was a little dissappointed though with the performance of the surround speakers...as I had to jack them up 10dB to really get a contribution from them. The speakers on the onkyo seem better.

I'm in the same boat. Did you go ahead and get the 780? The yht-160 is not bad to my ears. I would like to hear from someone that has done a comparison of these 2 systems. Not in the store, unable to determine there. Thanks so much Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave10
I'm in the same boat. Did you go ahead and get the 780? The yht-160 is not bad to my ears. I would like to hear from someone that has done a comparison of these 2 systems. Not in the store, unable to determine there. Thanks so much Dave
I posted that quite a while ago...I did get the 780 and was not satisfied. It sounds okay..but compared to the yht-160...it really wasn't an improvement.

To me, the 780 is muddy...hard to hear speech clearly, bigger speakers DOES NOT mean better. Surround effects really get lost because the speakers are such crap. Although the sub on the 780 is bigger and louder, it has little range, so you are missing out on a lot of bass effects. The sub on the yht 160 wasn't as loud, and didn't shake the floor as much, but reproduced more intended bass sound. Stick with the yht 160.

I would suggest that if you really have to go with Home Theater In A Box, go with Yamahas, as they have experience making speakers, whereas Onkyo is just a HT receiver company. One other Yamaha model also got a #1 rating from Consumer Reports, usually you can't go wrong with following their suggestions.

But, if you really want the best sound, build your own. Buy the components separately. You can start off cheap, with refurb products, like Harman Kardon receivers on EBay, along with Polk, Infinity or Athena speakers. You'll have a hobby for years to come, gradually improving your speakers etc. It's more work but the payoff is worth it. To me, its ridiculous to buy a system that is supposed to create surround effects, when the speakers are not quality enough to pull it off. It's like buying retread tires for an off road vehicle. I have already taken back my Onkyo 780. Take a look at the "onkyo speakers have no clarity" thread for more suggestions,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.