AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what i see the 370 has the benefit of bigger drivers and a powered subwoofer, is this worth the extra $100? Give me the pros and cons of each unit please as this is pretty much muble jumbo for me right now. I hear a lot of good things about the 590 but not so for the 370, why is that? Just let me know what everyone thinks...

The deal breaker for me is probably going to be that the 590 is available for much less from www.shoponkyo.com but if the woofer is underpowered and overall the 370 blows it away i will seriously consider it as it is in my budget.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

From what i see the 370 has the benefit of bigger drivers and a powered subwoofer, is this worth the extra $100? Give me the pros and cons of each unit please as this is pretty much muble jumbo for me right now. I hear a lot of good things about the 590 but not so for the 370, why is that? Just let me know what everyone thinks...

The deal breaker for me is probably going to be that the 590 is available for much less from www.shoponkyo.com but if the woofer is underpowered and overall the 370 blows it away i will seriously consider it as it is in my budget.

how much is the 590? the Onkyo HT-S790 is basically $399(and I posted a $40 off coupon for CC that you could use to get it down to $360) so if the 370 is $100 more then the 590 you probably should compare the 370 to the 790 instead

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Both the YHT-370 and the HT-S90 are very compairable, it would come down to preference. Both come with passive subwoofers, both are 5.1 systems and both come with quality receivers. The reason you don't see as much on the 370 is the Onk 590 can usually be found for MUCH MUCH less making it a better value. Both are prbably the best quality budget 5.1 htib systems around though. Right now you can get the Onkyo 590 from shoponkyo.com for $149 shipped with waranty. No way you could even come close to that on the 370 unless you lucked up and found an open box somewhere. is the 370 worth the extra $100 (or in this case $150 or more) "NO WAY" you could buy 2 onkyo systems inculding the difference

If you are looking in the price range of the 370 I would recommend looking at the HT-S790, it comes with a powered sub, more conection options/features and better speakers and shoponkyo.com or accessories4less.com has these often at great prices, probably about the same as the 370 or just a few $$ more.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What HBic said above....the 370 is priced t $399 and so is the S790 currently so to answer your question, the 370 DOES blow the S590 away BUT when compared to the S790, it fairs pretty close.

From my research, the adv of the 370 over the S790 is more reliability as there has been more reports of the Onkyo AVR over-heating and shutting off from users compared to the Yamaha AVR.

Apparently, some people like the 370's surround better and claim the sound is more clear/more depth compared to the S790 surrounds. Personally, I demonstrated both units at CC and BB using my own DVD and thought the S790 sounded better but then again, it depends of how well the AVR's were configured.

Overall, both systems are great (S790/HT370) so I guess it comes down to price ;-). Someone posted in the 370 thread that its on sale at BB this week for $299 but the website lists it as $399 so not sure.

Hope this helps

Ray

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my reading i noticed the Yamaha had a 10" powered sub, maybe i read wrong, can someone who owns this unit chime in?

One thing i noticed is that the Onkyo even though it has a little less power it has a much lower Total harmonic Distortion (should i even be looking at this number)?

Size of speakers (dimensions of boxes) doesn't matter it comes down to quality of sound for the low low budget.

How about this, with the $150 give or take i saved from purchasing the 370 i purchase some front speakers or a good center channel? what would i be looking at for power ratings so the Onkyo reviever pushes the speakers nice and cleanly? I don't need super uber loud...i live in a duplex. What would be a good choice? or should i just buy a new 5.1 speaker set that people recomend for 200? Then i could just get a reciever for 150...this si too complicated. Gotta keep thinking and shopping.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoasprinkles /forum/post/0

From my reading i noticed the Yamaha had a 10" powered sub, maybe i read wrong, can someone who owns this unit chime in?

One thing i noticed is that the Onkyo even though it has a little less power it has a much lower Total harmonic Distortion (should i even be looking at this number)?

Size of speakers (dimensions of boxes) doesn't matter it comes down to quality of sound for the low low budget.

How about this, with the $150 give or take i saved from purchasing the 370 i purchase some front speakers or a good center channel? what would i be looking at for power ratings so the Onkyo reviever pushes the speakers nice and cleanly? I don't need super uber loud...i live in a duplex. What would be a good choice? or should i just buy a new 5.1 speaker set that people recomend for 200? Then i could just get a reciever for 150...this si too complicated. Gotta keep thinking and shopping.

I doubt you read wrong, they try to hide these things, most adds do make it seem like a powered sub, however it comes with a passive 10" sub. You can download the manual or the hookup diagram at yamaha.com and I found a review on amazon in which they specifically state it's a passive sub. Read the 2nd and 3rd reviews down.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...e-20/ref=nosim

THD at this price level or receivers doesn't mean alot, I wouldn't put any priority in that, plus you can get different specks on THD, Power Ratings, Etc depending on how they are measured and there is no standard for this so companies can manupliate their numbers just about any way they want to, it's done moreso in the HTIB market but also in other such as receivers.

IMO the priority is quality of sound at the budget. That's why we're buying audio equipemnt? The features and specs of the 370 more resemble those of the the HT-S590. Yes the front speakers seem to be of a little better quality but right now this system is twice the price. At that budget I'd look at the Onkyo 790 which comes with simular speakers, a powered subwoofer and more connection options. You can find it now for $329 at acessories4less.com which is only a few dollars more than people are saying the $299 advertisized price is for the YHT-370 from Best Buy although I haven't been able to find it for that and the 790 is a better system all the way around.

If you wanted to upgrade the speakers and eventually sub on one of these systems it would make a world of difference, night and day, mindblowing. The most quality budget upgrade is the vedolyne cht front row system from vedolyne.com at $199. Athena as well as others makes quality budget speakers also, a pair of B1.2s and a c1.2 center would be around $280 and would be an excellent upgrade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The BB price is in store only. Unfortunatly I bought mine >30 days ago so no price adjustment available.

If you go to their site you can see it in the weekly ad posted there.

And the sub is passive not active, but it can generate frequencies down to 25Hz, which I've found to be good for the price.

It also has a line out for a powered sub if you want to upgrade or have a second sub.

Also, if you are a BB rewards member they are giving a12% off coupon in addition to this price break bringing it down to $264. Sweet price for this system IMO. I paid $311 not too long ago and thought it a deal for 720 w of total system power to 6 channels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.