AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to all this so bear with me. I've just been looking around on the internet for a sub 300 dollar htib and im trying to decide on a couple.


The two that have caught my eye are the Yamaha YHT-395BL and the Onkyo HT-S3400. I really don't know what I should be looking for when it comes down the very meticulous details. It doesn't take much to wow me, but I'm looking for the absolute best around that sub 300 dollar range. College student with a budget. I'll mostly be using it for HD television through my cable box via hdmi and also a ps3 for blu ray and games. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tad152007 /forum/post/21449694


I'm new to all this so bear with me. I've just been looking around on the internet for a sub 300 dollar htib and im trying to decide on a couple.


The two that have caught my eye are the Yamaha YHT-395BL and the Onkyo HT-S3400. I really don't know what I should be looking for when it comes down the very meticulous details. It doesn't take much to wow me, but I'm looking for the absolute best around that sub 300 dollar range. College student with a budget. I'll mostly be using it for HD television through my cable box via hdmi and also a ps3 for blu ray and games. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Wow, I got here before Pokekevin did
I have the Yamaha and have been very happy with it. I will be upgrading the speakers this year but for an entry level system it's a great deal, IMO. I can't speak to the Onkyo but PK has more knowledge in this area so hopefully he'll chime in here with more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Purchased the HT-s3400 last week, Set everything up with an lg 42LH50, ps3, xbox 360, and the hd cable box from verizon. Only complaint was the TREMENDOUS amount of heat that it puts off (i actually added some fans to my entertainment center for it). A few days went by everything was going smoothly. Last night, i was on my computer playing a game (tv was just on watching a tv show through the cable box which was hooked up through hdmi to the 3400) Suddenly i began to smell burning electronics, i looked back and my tv was off along with the 3400. Upon investigating more, EVERY SINGLE component was dead, the ps3, 360, hd cable box, as well as the tv. I decided to dismantle my tv, and the cable box. Both of them had components inside of them related to the HDMI ports, toasted. The s3400 hdmi port that the cable box was plugged into was burnt beyond recognition as well as the hdmi cable end that was plugged into it. Beware of this unit, i will be talking to onkyo tomorrow to see how things go with them. I would not purchase this unit again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0


Purchased the HT-s3400 last week, Set everything up with an lg 42LH50, ps3, xbox 360, and the hd cable box from verizon. Only complaint was the TREMENDOUS amount of heat that it puts off (i actually added some fans to my entertainment center for it). A few days went by everything was going smoothly. Last night, i was on my computer playing a game (tv was just on watching a tv show through the cable box which was hooked up through hdmi to the 3400) Suddenly i began to smell burning electronics, i looked back and my tv was off along with the 3400. Upon investigating more, EVERY SINGLE component was dead, the ps3, 360, hd cable box, as well as the tv. I decided to dismantle my tv, and the cable box. Both of them had components inside of them related to the HDMI ports, toasted. The s3400 hdmi port that the cable box was plugged into was burnt beyond recognition as well as the hdmi cable end that was plugged into it. Beware of this unit, i will be talking to onkyo tomorrow to see how things go with them. I would not purchase this unit again.

and I thought hdmi handshake issues were bad haha. Did you try contacting onkyo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
As for the op, the yht and onkyo are both great htibs. My uncle has a 5400 upgraded from the one you are looking at and I thought it was pretty good for the price. Really depends on which look you like better. I myself have gotten(and gave to) a yht and was pleased with the sound! Do you want to go with an htib or separate parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21465245


As for the op, the yht and onkyo are both great htibs. My uncle has a 5400 upgraded from the one you are looking at and I thought it was pretty good for the price. Really depends on which look you like better. I myself have gotten(and gave to) a yht and was pleased with the sound! Do you want to go with an htib or separate parts?

Being as you're here, what would you recommend for front speaker upgrades? They need to be similar in size to the ones that came with the YHT because of space and the WAF
(I could probably go up to a 6" base). The sides are fine and the 8" woofie seems to hold its own in our environment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
Can you barter with her on getting a slightly bigger bookshelf speakers? ahha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21466391


Can you barter with her on getting a slightly bigger bookshelf speakers? ahha

Problem is that I've only got about 6" of real estate on either side of the tv before a >6" speaker base would be touching the bezel
Hmmm, now that I actually measured it, there's about 7.5" from the edge of the bezel to the edge of the console top. So maybe a bit more than 6" to play with. Floor standing are definitely out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0



Problem is that I've only got about 6" of real estate on either side of the tv before a >6" speaker base would be touching the bezel
Hmmm, now that I actually measured it, there's about 7.5" from the edge of the bezel to the edge of the console top. So maybe a bit more than 6" to play with. Floor standing are definitely out.

Height restrictions??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21467066


Height restrictions??

Probably no taller than 12". I realize that I'm severely limiting my choices but it would be nice to get something with a bit more mid-range that what I have now. The current aren't too bad as you know but a little more depth in sound would be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0



Probably no taller than 12". I realize that I'm severely limiting my choices but it would be nice to get something with a bit more mid-range that what I have now. The current aren't too bad as you know but a little more depth in sound would be nice.

If u could fit 15x8x8 the hsu hb1s are great! Or the cambridge s30s which are 8xforgotx9 (pretty deep). Pretty good at music! If not check out the energy veritas mini. If you could fit a deeper speaker depth wise the rc -10s are great. 13 high 10 deep 6 wide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21468312


If u could fit 15x8x8 the hsu hb1s are great! Or the cambridge s30s which are 8xforgotx9 (pretty deep). Pretty good at music! If not check out the energy veritas mini. If you could fit a deeper speaker depth wise the rc -10s are great. 13 high 10 deep 6 wide

Hmmm, the HB1s and the Cambridge sound too wide. Depth is not an issue so the RC-10s may work. I'll go take a looksee. Thanks. I'll be back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0



Hmmm, the HB1s and the Cambridge sound too wide. Depth is not an issue so the RC-10s may work. I'll go take a looksee. Thanks. I'll be back.

Nice terminator reference lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21468434


Nice terminator reference lol

Thanks. Unintentional but I'll take the credit
The RC-10s and corresponding center look good. It appears that they are discontinued, but still available, albeit a bit pricey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0



Thanks. Unintentional but I'll take the credit
The RC-10s and corresponding center look good. It appears that they are discontinued, but still available, albeit a bit pricey.

I used a mini v center for my center
fit perfect under my tv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21468845


I used a mini v center for my center
fit perfect under my tv

I think the RC10s center (RCL?) will fit height-wise (it's only 7" tall and I think I've got that much on the center shelf underneath the LCD). Is the Mini V the same mfr as the RC10s (timbre matched)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/0



I think the RC10s center (RCL?) will fit height-wise (it's only 7" tall and I think I've got that much on the center shelf underneath the LCD). Is the Mini V the same mfr as the RC10s (timbre matched)?

Its part of energy's verita line. Many folks have used it as center due to height restrictions. But if you can fit the rc center why not you know lol. I can't wait to hear your reactions when you upgrade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21470433


Its part of energy's verita line. Many folks have used it as center due to height restrictions. But if you can fit the rc center why not you know lol. I can't wait to hear your reactions when you upgrade

Well it's going to be awhile. Beginning of the year, taxes, all that fun stuff comes first. I'm going to look locally and see if I can "interview" them first. If all goes well, then I'll just sit and wait for better prices. Hopefully I'll be in a position to get them when the prices are a bit better but before they are gone altogether. Any issues combining them with the sub that came with the YHT? Right now I'm looking at around 600 for the three and that is not something that will get the WAF now
But, I do have a birthday coming up in a few months.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,049 Posts
I just got a notification email of my W2...sigh....time of the year again. I think your wife will like the looks of the speakers
at first I had difficulties getting permission but when they arrived...boy oh boy do they look alot better in person.


Just realized you are in San Jose...shucks I was just there last week hahah.

As for combining the sub from the YHT. My relatives who I gave the 395 too already had a sub so I kept the YHT sub. ran a .3 set up for awhile with: LFM EX, Paradigm PDR 10, and the YHT. IT worked perfect! I still have it running actually right behind my seating position
. Just make sure you level match them and you'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21472451


I just got a notification email of my W2...sigh....time of the year again. I think your wife will like the looks of the speakers
at first I had difficulties getting permission but when they arrived...boy oh boy do they look alot better in person.


Just realized you are in San Jose...shucks I was just there last week hahah.

As for combining the sub from the YHT. My relatives who I gave the 395 too already had a sub so I kept the YHT sub. ran a .3 set up for awhile with: LFM EX, Paradigm PDR 10, and the YHT. IT worked perfect! I still have it running actually right behind my seating position
. Just make sure you level match them and you'll be fine.

I hope you're right about the WAF but time will tell. I need to interview them first. Nice to know that they will play nicely with the YHT 8" sub. That is something that would not fly at the same time



Huntington Beach huh? I have a daughter who visits there quite often.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top