AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about it for awhile and it has come to

Yamaha YHT-491 vs Samsung HT-AS720ST vs Sony HT SS360

I have a ps3, direcTV DVR/HD, and a Samsung 52" (ln52a550).

I need some opinions before I go crazy.

I want to stay under $450.

I'm also not opposed to just buying a receiver and 2 speakers and adding more later.

More details follow, not necessary to read:

I hate lag so much that I will use optical from the ps3 to the receiver when playing games ~ when playing movies/music I will switch the cable to HDMI to get the "HD" audio

Used is fine as long as it functions as it should and if anybody has something they want to sell let me know

I'm expecting that since I plan to get a receiver that is HDMI / HD capable it should last me for at least ten years, hopefully fifteen, before I feel outdated

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I dont know much about the Yamaha, but I would go with the s360 over the as-720 in a heartbeat. The samsung has had a lot of issues and, to be honest, it did not get a glowing review in the sound department. Do you have a chance to see these in action at a store?(BB, FS, etc). The sony did get good reviews, both from 'experts' and consumers, myself included
. I went with the s360 and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just had a look at the Yamaha online. I think it only has two HDMI inputs. Most newer models, sony's included have three. I read somewhere that yamaha has scimped on HDMI inputs on a number of their systems. They put out great sound, but dont get the full reccomendations because of poor connectivity options.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.