AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm trying to hook up an HDTV ( Vizio VP422 ), Blu-ray player ( Samsung BD-P1500 ), and XBOX 360 to the Yamaha YHT-590 home theater system. All three of them support Optical Digital Cables but the HTIB only has two slots. Therefore, I need to figure out a different way to connect one of the devices to the Yamaha system without losing much quality.

According to the Blu-ray manual, it says that you can connect it to the TV and HTIB via HDMI (I've attached a screen shot of the page in the manual). I've tried this exact setup but can only get video and no sound. Am I missing something? Does it still require a digital audio cable? Could it just be a software setting issue within the HTIB or the Blu-ray player? I've tried changing all the settings within the Blu-ray player, HTIB, and TV without any luck.

I feel like I'm really close. If I can figure this out I can use the two available optical digital outputs for the TV and XBOX 360.

Thanks for your help.

(I searched the forum and the only YHT-590 threads were just comparing it to other systems. None of them were about setup)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Your receiver is video pass through only meaning you have to connect an optical cable as well to get audio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM /forum/post/15522637

Your receiver is video pass through only meaning you have to connect an optical cable as well to get audio.

Thank you for your response. I decided to just sacrifice the XBOX 360 and use component for video and analog for audio. This allows my TV and Blu-ray player to use digital audio.

I have a digital coaxial slot next to the digital optical but I don't think any of my devices can use it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I looked at the specs of your Blu-Ray player and I'll be darned, they did away with the coaxial digital audio port. It's HDMI, optical, or bust.

Get an optical-to-coaxial converter. Coaxial and optical are the same audio signal, just a different mode of transport. Since it's a digital signal, you won't lose sound quality, and you'll be digital on all three.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/15523800

I looked at the specs of your Blu-Ray player and I'll be darned, they did away with the coaxial digital audio port. It's HDMI, optical, or bust.

Get an optical-to-coaxial converter. Coaxial and optical are the same audio signal, just a different mode of transport. Since it's a digital signal, you won't lose sound quality, and you'll be digital on all three.

Thanks a lot. I didn't know such thing existed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts