AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with Yamaha's YPAO calibration system? I am just curious as to how well it works over the traditional SPL meter calibrations. Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoops, just bought the 5860 which has YPAO with AutoEq. I don't have an SPL meter, so I can't confirm how my calibration would have been. However, I did try and calibrate as best I could and I can tell that YPAO w/AutoEq did a great job. What a difference and I am certainly sold on the technology. I would definitely recommend the 5860 which I think sounds just as good as the Denon 2105 and the RX-V757 (which as I understand is the same as the 5860 w/minor cosmetic changes).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mine YPAO calibration was within 1-3 db for all channels except the sub when compared with the RS digital SPL meter. IIRC, the sub readings were ~8db lower than the other channels, but being that I have 2 subs in the room and the known limitations of the RS meter (and probably some limitations of the YPAO with regards to subs), I was impressed. Distance seemed pretty accurate as well. The only thing I didn't like, was that it wanted to set all my speakers to large even though I had a sub and it sometimes would tell me that my wiring polarity was reservsed and I'd run it a 2nd time and it would tell it was fine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have an RX-V2400 and the YPAO works well. I also do not have an SPL meter, so I cannot confirm the settings. But the speaker distances and loudness appear accurate, and the system sounds great after using YPAO. If you go with Yamaha, make sure you use FRONT when running YPAO, it will give the best results. Like frottage, YPAO set my fronts and rears to Large, which I then changed to Small and let the subwoofer handle the 80Hz and lower stuff. To me, the bass sounds better with the sub handling it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops10
Does anyone have any experience with Yamaha's YPAO calibration system? I am just curious as to how well it works over the traditional SPL meter calibrations. Thanks.
Quite well actually. And on the higher end Yamaha's like the V2500 it also does a parametric equalization too...which is a great feature to have.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
When you get something that you knows right you don't think about it anymore. I love my Yamaha 5790!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.