AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I have a Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver which I believe has the full-blown YPAO analyzer/setup thingy and a new DSP-3400 subwoofer. Has anyone used this or a similar combination of sub&receiver with Paradigm's PBK-1?

Is there going to be a dramatic improvement using paradigm's system in combination with the Yamaha, enough to warrant a third the price of the subwoofer itself?

Or would I be better off applying the price of the PBK-1 toward a future 2nd sub? Does anyone have 2 DSP-3400 that could comment on the improvement going from one to two?

A final curiosity question would be what would be the effect of using two subwoofers from the same line but different models, say a DSP-3400 and DSP-3200 or 3100?

Thanks in advance....

Doug

·
Registered
633 Posts
only comment i can make is about an older version of YPAO (in my rx-v2600)...dunno if it has changed in the newer incarnations.

in the 2600, ypao has an eq cutoff around 65-70hz. that's right, it does nothing below that. so it's pretty much useless for sub eq.

i added an sms-1 to the mix and was much happier with the bass. i then ditched the yammie for an audyssey xt equipped onkyo and was very surprised by how much improvement there was again (and not just in the sub domain).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Dookie....

I'm not sure where my amplifier sits in the yamaha spectrum. The regular (manual) graphic equalizer has a lower band centered at 63 hz but I can not find info on the specific parametric equalizer in my model other than the V3900 has four bands from 31hz and lower models (like mine?) only 2 but I can't find the freq kenneth. At least one review seems to indicate the higher end z-series models equalize down well below 20hz but I don't know if this applies to my model as well.

At any rate if YPAO is not equalizing the subwoofer frequencies would I get ~$300 worth of bang from the paradigm PBK-1 equalizer or would I be better off saving for another sub?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts