AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Yamaha V765 and ran YPAO today. Prior to setup it said set the sub volume just slightly below half and the crossover at max. Ran the setup and it set my fronts and center (Polk Monitor 40 and CS1) to large which I assume means they have decent low end response. It set the LFE/LPF to 80 hz.

I have seen many posts on this forum which say set the fronts/center to small unless they have really great low end response. Is this right?

What about the sub crossover control? Should I set it back to 80 to agree with the YPAO setting or leave it at max or somewhere else? It doesn't say anything in the manual about what to do with this control after setup. I guess the setup won't send anything above 80 hz to the sub, right, so leaving it all the way up won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If after letting it run ypao you're not happy, try adjusting the settings and seeing if you like it better when set manually. You don't have to use every setting it chooses, You can let it set all the basic stuff like distance and levels, and then play with it from there.

As for the sub, I let mine with the crossover all the way up, allowing the receiver to handle the crossover. You are right that it makes no difference, as long as the sub isn't set lower than the receiver.

As to small or large, I have mine set to large. Even the rears, but I think they have pretty good low end.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You want to set the sub's crossover to the max value so it interfere's as little as possible with the Yamaha. Note that filters are not brick walls, so a crossover at 80 is operational above 80 hz.

As for small/large, to some extent, that's going to be a personal choice, unless you want to install an audio analyzer on your laptop and spend time analyzing the results.

80 hz is good compromise. Too high and you increase the load on your sub's amp, and start getting into frequencies where audio is directional. Too low, and you leave a gap...or worse.

For me, "or worse" meant my main speakers would hit their limits and make a horrible sound. Lowering to 80 hz solved that problem.

I suggest trying it both ways, with music and movies with adequate bass.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would run the mains as 'large' and overlap the sub with the mains from 150 Hz down. More LF sources provides smoother bass overall, with fewer dropouts from room modes.

- Doug

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have seen some reference to YPAO does not EQ the sub. In the CNET review of the 667 they say it sets the distance and volume of the sub. What else would it do to say that it will EQ the sub?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Depends on the version of YPAO maybe? My Z7 EQs the sub. Check the manual, maybe?

·
Registered
660 Posts
I use a satelite w/ a passive subwoofer for mains. I also have a yst sw315 as a sub. The YPAO set the mains to small and the Yamaha sub to 160hz. It sounds awesome but the sub is directional at that level. I changed the setting to the mains as large and dropped the Yammi sub down to 80hz. The yamaha sub is no longer directional and the main's passive sub is picking up bass above 90hz. There is more than enough bass to piss off the people in the condo above me and to rattle pictures off the walls at reference volume levels in the mid to low 20's. The AQ is great. The RX-V667 is a real nice AVR.

Edit, For basic set up thr YPAO did a real nice job, im a perfectionist and like to tweak anyway. Take CNET reveiws with a grain of salt!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts