AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for an AVS thread on this new product, but couldn't find anything. I'll start one!

• Single unit housing 42 drivers
  • Can deliver five-channel sound in Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic II
  • Bounces sound off the walls to create the illusion of discretely-placed speakers
  • Subwoofer out connector
  • U.S. release in March 2005, with an MSRP of $1500

What do the rest of you home theater enthusiasts think of this product? I know having separate speakers would be better, but apparently this thing works pretty well, according to those who have heard it. It could be a good solution for certain rooms.

External links
http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5618866-1.html?tag=hot
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...tor-025818.php
http://www.google.com/search?q=yamah...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally posted by noodleNT
I am considering this because it will work well in my appartment where drilling holes and pulling carpet is frowned appon to setup speakers

Do you already have a dolby digital amp/receiver? If you did, I don't even think you can use it with the Yamaha. I think you plug the digital output from the DVD right into the Yamaha.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by curtisf
I just saw this unit at my local dealer, but did not get a chance to hear it since it wasn't setup. It was smaller than I expected it to be.

Where did you get to see it? I thought it was not coming out until March. The dimensions I saw on it said it was about 40" wide, 7" high, and 4 or 5" deep.

·
Registered
40 Posts
According to Yamaha, certain dealers in the country got small shipments. The nationwide release is scheduled for March. I think they are ramping up production, because it is selling so well in other parts of the world. I saw the unit at Mateo HiFi in San Mateo, CA.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_V
Do you already have a dolby digital amp/receiver? If you did, I don't even think you can use it with the Yamaha. I think you plug the digital output from the DVD right into the Yamaha.

Anyone know for sure?

It takes the place of a reciever in a simple system (has 2 optical, 1 coax and an analog audio input - 4 total). If you use it in unison with an existing rec, then you will need a digital preout, or run your digital audio sources to this instead. This unit works very, very well - can be setup effectively for those annoying corner mount TV locations, or on any wall. The setup GUI is foolproof, almost setting itself up as you walk through the step by step menus. Takes about 5 or 10 minutes and presto!; you got 5.1 from a single speaker and the sub of your choice. This is a very nice setup for the money, as it replaces 5 speakers, a reciever, and takes almost no install time. Sounds pretty friggin good too. We're just starting to handle this product and I'm looking forward to using it in our simpler family room and master bedroom systems. Solves a LOT of problems!

·
Registered
447 Posts
It may sound pretty good (or bad), but it cannot reproduce true surround sound any more than headphones can. Using delays and "bouncing" sound off of walls may give you the illusion of surround sound, but at best will give you the equivilent of the old Dolby Surround format.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Karp
It may sound pretty good (or bad), but it cannot reproduce true surround sound any more than headphones can. Using delays and "bouncing" sound off of walls may give you the illusion of surround sound, but at best will give you the equivilent of the old Dolby Surround format.

While I generally agree with your premise, the net result of this system is significantly better than plain ol' dolby analog surround. Note that nowhere did I say that it would rival a properly set up 5.1 system, but rather that it solves a lot of installation and budget problems with very, very little compromise, considering...

Don't discount the value of this setup under the conditions it was designed for 'till you've heard it in action.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I believe YSP-1 is a phased array system like Pioneer Sound Projector. I remember Pioneer one had a calibration system with microphone inside, to measure the the roon reflection to form right reflection for surround effect. Is it same to YSP-1?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just received my YSP-1, and my first impression is positive. It took about 10min to setup using the "easy" method. You need to tell it the room type and predefined sizes, but it will allow you to to adjust all of the parameters manually if you have odd shaped rooms. One word to describe this unit is "amazing". The soundstage is wide and the sound does really appear to come from behind you. It is hard to believe that the sound is coming from 40 1.5" speakers with 2watt amps behind each of them! If this thing was priced at $800, it would fly off the shelves.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by curtisf
.....If this thing was priced at $800, it would fly off the shelves.

If people figure out just how well this thing works, it'll fly off the shelves anyway - it's not very expensive for what it is and what it's designed for. Remember, the Pioneer version of this thing sells for $40,000!! The technology was licensed from Yamaha, and the Pioneer only worked for about 1 or 2 hours at the last CEDIA show. That oughta tell you something....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Karp

I had been agreeing on this kind of claims, but now I can't any more. During the CES, I auditioned a technology from Smyth Research, which tries to measure and equalize the response in your very ears with tiny microphones. The reference was your HT's sound, and the headphone was eqaulized using the "personalized" HRTF derived from 2 measurements (from your HT's, and from your headphones). I couldn't tell the difference AT ALL between HT sound and headphone sound in rear/back!!

Actually, this type of phased arrays have more difficulties to generate full surrounds than the headphone - simply far more variables than headphones! But I'd now believe that phased array or maybe even a pair of traditional speakers can generate full surround effect with "personalization".

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by bamputin
hm i reckon it'd sound pretty terrible up loud

Does anyone have an answer to this? I heard it at CES and was amazed at the surround sound reproduction and ordered mine which will be in about a week. I am just hoping that it will keep up with those times that you really want to crank it.

1 - 20 of 465 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.