AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a bit of a problem with my new YSP-4000.

I have the following units connected with the YSP.
  • PS3 -> YSP (HDMI, AUX1)
  • Wii -> YSP (Component, STB/TV)
  • Media Center Computer -> YSP (HDMI, DVD)

When I play games on the PS3 I get 5.1 surround. But, when I play a blueray disc I only get 2.0 sound.

If I connect a optical toslink between the ps3 and ysp, then I get 5.1. But, to do this I have to tell the YSP to use "OTHER" audio rather than the "YSP-4000" setting in the OSD settings dialog. And when I have this setting, the sound from the media center computer goes right thru the ysp and into the tv.

Do any one have a solution to my problem?

Thanks!

Update:

It seems the YSP-4000 can´t handle LPCM 5.1. So the PS3 has to be set to DD, DTS and LPCM for 2.0. Then the BD setting must be changed to Bitstream

/Johan, Sweden

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2string /forum/post/12953655

I don't have an answer but how does it sound? How does it do with music?

The sound is very good, clean and powerful. It took me a while to get all the "beams" set up perfectly, but now it´s sounding really good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2string /forum/post/12962135

Have you ever taken the grill off? I was wondering how. I want to take a peak at all those speakers.

Not yet, but I will
I´ll post a photo for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloJim /forum/post/12962257

Just a wild guess since I don't own a PS3, but my thoughts are that you don't have the output of the Sony set up correctly.

Jim

I have tried DD,DTS only and LPCM 2.0 & 5.1. Still not working like it should. I´ll read try some more today when I get back from work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another update on my problem.

It seems the YSP-4000 doesn´t have HDMI 1.3, so the Linear PCM 5.1 (decoded by the PS3) isn´t recognized by the YSP. That´s why I only get 2.0 sound with PCM from my PS3.

When I set the PS3 to send bitstream, the YSP decodes it into DD/DTS 5.1.

So, I guess I have to either buy a whole new set of speakers and a hdmi 1.3 compatible reciever or just be satisfied with the bitstream sound...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I ended up getting the 1100 deeply discounted and a separate HDMI switch from Monoprice that works like a charm. The 4000 was just not worth it to me, and in terms of audio quality, I've compared them and I could not discern a difference, although I am admittedly not an über-audiophile or anything...

·
Banned
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tic-tac /forum/post/12995148

I ended up getting the 1100 deeply discounted and a separate HDMI switch from Monoprice that works like a charm. The 4000 was just not worth it to me, and in terms of audio quality, I've compared them and I could not discern a difference, although I am admittedly not an über-audiophile or anything...

cool if that's the case could you please PM with the price and link where you got the 1100 from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've read through both threads on the YSP 4000 and all of the posts and I still have not seen the definitive solution on how to hook up the PS3 to the YSP 4000. I am getting mine soon and plan to use a single HDMI cable to hook the 2 up. I want to be able to get 5.1 sound from PS3 games and from Blu Ray movies. Can I do this or not? I've seen conflicting reports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't own PS3 but I had similar problem with my Blu-Ray S500 going over HDMI. YSP-4000 PCM is only 2-channel and not 5-channel. The only way to get 5-channel is to use optical or coax digital output. This gives me 5-channels but via Dolby Digital.

My Blu-Ray S500 decodes optical & coax digital out down to Dolby Digital. You'd wish you get more for $1100+ piece of A/V equipment, but not sure I could hear the difference of TrueHD audio anyways?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently purchased a YSP-3000 from amazon for $568 and hooked it up to my ps3 in the game room. I set hdmi video and audio to auto in the ps3 and I can see it selects Dolby digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 in the audio output menu (as well as other 2.0 pcm options).

I can also see the 5.1 speaker icons light up on the YSP.

It takes a while to setup the speaker so it sounds right, it's very particular about furniture, anything blocking the sound and room "geometry". I ran the auto setup maybe 6-7 times, each time making minor adjustments such as, position of the ysp, window blinds, gaming chair, etc. In the end, I'm actually surprised by how well it works. It seems like the sound is coming out of my rear and side walls.

I considered the YSP-1100 which was $100 cheaper and has double the number of speakers. It was also bigger and doesn't have hdmi. But the hdmi on the 3000 is only 1.2, and it cuts off BTB and WTW when i have the ps3 set to "Full" color mode instead of "Limited". I haven't decided if I will recalibrate my TV using "Limited" color or just connect the ysp with optical cables... It looks cooler than the $299 sony micro htib I tried out, but... in the end, i'm not sure if the higher price was justified.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts