AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know quite a few guys have brought up this issue before but no one has been able to tell what period or series of Yamaha were sounding bright or sharp. I cannot except that all the Yamaha recievers starting from day one till now have a bright sound.

I have done an extensive listening of Yamaha RXV540 and now RXV1300 which I got last week. I had switched between Marantz4300 -to- YamahaRXV540 -to- Marantz6300 -to- YamahaRXV1300 and I am finally convinced that the sound in my current setup isn't bright(soudwise) with RXV1300. I made a comparison between Marantz(which are classified warm recievers) and Yamaha(so called bright) without using any meters and gauges just doing a simple listening:

In 2 channel stereo Yamaha sounded almost same as Marantz. I did not notice much difference. Rather Yamaha sounded more clear.

I watch a lot a tv and when I listened to it thru Marantz(with DPLII/Neo6/CSII) I was dissappointed as it sound too compressed and narrow. Most of the sound seemed like coming from centre channel. Whereas Yamaha gives a wide sound even when you are watching old(not so old) tv shows like Seinfield. The similar kind of experience I had when watching movies(Daredevil, Starwars-I, MIB-II, Lord of the Ring-II) thru both the recievers.

I noticed a clear difference in surround sound where Yamaha was a clear winner. I believe Yamaha has a strong technology of processing 2 channel signal.

So, I came up to a conclusion that the reciever is not the major deciding factor when it comes to classifying sound bright or warm or neutral or 'crap'. I think it is the speakers. One thing I am definetly sure that Yamaha makes my budget speakers(JBL Northbridge) sound more alive than Marantz.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I would say the room is culprit #1, followed by the speakers as #2. Adding sofas and carpeting can have a drastic effect on the sound...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I believe Yamaha corrected most of their brightness problems about 5-6 years ago. although clearly the peception of brightness has lingered. About 7 years ago I bought an RX-V470 receiver that definitely was bright, even with my old Pioneer CS-703 speakers. I replaced it 3-4 years ago with an RX-V596, which has sounded much, much better than the 470. The 596 is still in my system as a pre-pro, driving a Sherbourn 5/1500A power amp and Paradigm Monitor speakers. Even with the Paradigms the combination does not sound bright to me.

That's not to say the newer Yamaha receivers are laid back and warm, because they defintely are not. Yamaha seems to believe in detailed, articulate presentation and their receivers reflect that in their tonal qualities. IMO they are among the more accurate of the mass market receiver brands. They also are very solidly built and robust, with very few quality control problems. I've owned quite a few Yamaha components over the past 20+ years and the only problem I've ever had was directly traceable to shipping damage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you want warmth with accuracy, then match the Yamaha receivers to Canton, Magnepan or Yamaha speakers and enjoy. Other speakers accentuate the Yamaha's brightness.

Yamaha's MX-1 power amp was one of the most detailed class A amplifier in the market. Some were intimidated by its accuracy and called it too analytical. Yamaha's Q for their components including their speakers are based on their muscial intruments so it is a love it or hate is situation. Marantz though comes amazingly close to the Yamaha sonic signature and so does Accuphase.

Dan Driscoll is absolutely correct about Yamaha's build The fact I have 15 year old Yamaha componnts including CD player reflects this attribute.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Dan Driscoll is absolutely correct about Yamaha's build The fact I have 15 year old Yamaha componnts including CD player reflects this attribute.
Got into Yamaha late, eh? ;)

I still have and use a Yamaha K-960 cassette recorder with dbx noise reduction that I purchased in 1982 and I had other Yamaha pieces in the late 70's. My first seperates system consisted of a C-4 pre-amp and an M-4 stereo power amp. I still regret very much selling the C-4 and M-4 to finance my first home theater rig. :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm by no means an audiophile and I don't know all of the technical terms for everything but I did test a Yamah 2400 against a Denon 3803 recently. I have had a Yamaha receiver for years and loved the clarity but I wanted to compare to something different. I think they were playing through Mirage speakers (not sure to be honest but both tested with same set and they were not low end). I checked with regular 2 channel stereo on music and then with DP2 Music on both. I was surprised that to my ear the Yamaha did sound just a tad brighter. I'm not sure if this was planted in my head by some of the people on these forums or what but it did sound a little bright compared to the Denon. So, now I'm thinking whether it was the setup, the music choice, or if it was just in my head. Heck, you can adjust these things to the max now so it shouldn't really matter. I would simply throw a tad more bass in the mix and probably be happy.

That has me thinking now. Do you think it was the way the sub was configured and it was getting more bass through the Denon? Oh well...... Both sound freaking awesome. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice to see I'm not the only one torn between the RX-V2400 and the AVR-3803, Kainan. :)

This is gonna be a tough decision.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kainan,

I'm not at all surprised the Yamaha sounded brighter than the Denon, I think most people would reach the same conclusion. But "bright" has a negative conotation is audio, so let me ask you if this might describe what you heard just as well:

"I was surprised that to my ear the Yamaha did sound just a tad more detailed. In comparison the Denon sounded slightly warmer and a little laid back."

·
Registered
238 Posts
What is bright to one, is detailed and articulate to other, in the same breath, what is warm and sweet to one is dull, boomy and lacking in detail to others.

As you can see, I belong to the bright and detailed side and if Yamaha ever deviated from that, I would be of AV for good.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Driscoll
Got into Yamaha late, eh? ;)

I still have and use a Yamaha K-960 cassette recorder with dbx noise reduction that I purchased in 1982 and I had other Yamaha pieces in the late 70's. My first seperates system consisted of a C-4 pre-amp and an M-4 stereo power amp. I still regret very much selling the C-4 and M-4 to finance my first home theater rig. :(
:D

I graduated from college in 1988 and only then did I have the financial capability to buy audio systems. I started my journey with the so called high end snob brands and only switched to Yamaha after being humbled at my friends house. I also have a fifteen year old MX-1000U amplifier and Yamaha's legendary NS-1000x berrilyum beauties.:cool:

·
Registered
861 Posts
The time frame is up to and including the Yamaha DSPA-1.

The side-by-side comparison (I own one) between that and the flagship models that followed (DSPAX-1 etc) showed a very much reduced emphasis on the high frequencies.

The hot top end is a technique that is designed to simulate the retrieval of extra detail.

The later Yamaha units were superior in their sonic balance which is noticeably warmer and less agressive and sibilant in the treble.

YMMV.

Max Christoffersen
www.audioenz.co.nz

·
Registered
238 Posts
The receivers from Yamaha with higher damping factors always had better sound although none including their DSP-AZ9 can come close to their MX series amp in terms of sound quality. The Z-9 is the closest I have heard but looses out in dynamics.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe it is not just Bright and warm factor that should be considered while selecting a reciever, width of the sound is also important. For example I noticed it when watching tv(shaw cable) shows. Yamaha gave me a wider sound than Marantz. I have a sony36"Wega Tv and it has a pretty decent sound itself but as soon as I turn on my reciever I feel that sound getting wider and coming out from a bigger area but with Marantz it would sound only louder not wider.

I am not sure whether other warm recievers do the same. Has any one much experience watching tv with HT on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.