AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, my new Yamaha receiver runs hot. My mother's 5560 also runs hot, so I'm guessing this is normal. Comments?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually have the volume for CD's DVD's at -15, but last night had regular TV at about -8. The receiver is on a shelf by itself w/ about 6 - 8 inches above it. I do have an audio cabinet with a glass door, though. The whole back is open. I'll admit my last receiver I never used to shut off, and it was an old Sony I had for 8 years. I just started shutting this one off this morning. My mother doesn't shut hers, but also doesn't push it as hard. I really don't want to get an open audio cabinet, but is that really what you've got to do once you start getting equipment that's of a higher caliber? It also sucks if you've got something like the Yamaha, with orange lights, and then Sony or Onkyo gear that's got green. Plus the Yamaha ain't the prettiest receiver out their. My Adcom amp looks pretty cool though.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
The top cover can get warm but should not be too hot. If it is too hot to touch, I would have the AVR checked. However 1st make sure for the following:

1. Open space of at least 2" around top and sides of AVR

2. What volume level is the AVR

3. What is the impedence and sensitivity of your speakers

4. Size of room

5. Type of music being played

Any of the above will contribute to the possibe heat buildup, check each and post back then we will try to help you further.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. There is 2" all the way around.

2. Volume for CD's, DVD -15...TV -8

3. Internal amp drives Axiom 6-ohm center and surrounds; Adcom takes care of the fronts.

4. Room is second floor "attic" type with walls that go up 4' than slant inward to the 7' high ceiling. Room dimensions are 12' x 16'.

5. Music types: heavy metal, techno, rap, trip rock, classical, alternative...Movies: Sci fi, action, adventure.

Movies can go up to -5 depending on what type of mood I'm in. But even if I just leave this thing on in the morning and check the temperature when I get home, it's fairly hot. Now by fairly hot I mean you can put your hand on it and keep it there, but it's not warm, it's hot.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by erikb333
1. There is 2" all the way around.

2. Volume for CD's, DVD -15...TV -8

3. Internal amp drives Axiom 6-ohm center and surrounds; Adcom takes care of the fronts.

4. Room is second floor "attic" type with walls that go up 4' than slant inward to the 7' high ceiling. Room dimensions are 12' x 16'.

5. Music types: heavy metal, techno, rap, trip rock, classical, alternative...Movies: Sci fi, action, adventure.

Movies can go up to -5 depending on what type of mood I'm in. But even if I just leave this thing on in the morning and check the temperature when I get home, it's fairly hot. Now by fairly hot I mean you can put your hand on it and keep it there, but it's not warm, it's hot.
Since you using an external Adcom amplifier for the fronts this should ease the load for the internal Yamaha amplifiers. It appears you better upgrade the Yamaha to a higher powered model. Keep in mind that for the latest AVR models MOST brands are fibbing for its power output specs especially for ALL channels driven. Typically they may publish 75 Watts/Ch but actual may be 30 Watts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just listening to some 5 channel stereo music for about 40 minutes at -18 and the underside of the shelf that's 4" above the receiver is hot. Again I did leave the receiver on when I went to work and when I got home it's warm, with nothing running. With three channels running, why so hot. Even with no channels running it's warm. Anyone else with a x400 having this "problem?"

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My 1400 runs hot at 'low' volumes (65-70db) with TV watching. My main speakers are 6ohm, 86db efficient, but my center is 6 ohms and 92db. It has 5" of clearance on the top, and the back of my entertainment center is open.

I have computer fans installed in my entertainment center, so it isn't too much of an issue. I have one that blows across the top of the unit, keeping it cool.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One silly question if I may, have you switched off the speaker A and B switch on your Yamaha receiver since you are using an external amp?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have an older 992 that I use in my secondary system. Had it for 5 or 6 years now and never noticed it to run hot. Maybe the newer Yammys are different?

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
2" on top is not enough IMO, if that is all you have then id wager that is the cause.

I just switched to Yamaha , my first receiver was a Denon AVR-3300 which ran pretty hot, then I switched to a Sony STR-DA555ES ..this this was a frickin heater , even though it sat on top of my rack in open air , when pushed hard it would get incredibly hot....either way I kept the Sony for 3 years because I liked it and it never gave me any problems.

A few weeks ago I brought home a Yamaha HTR-5660 (RX-V640) and I was amazed at how cool it ran compared to my old Sony, I decided I wanted more power so I got a RX-V3300 instead and it also runs cooler.

Granted I do use the 4ohm speaker setting on the back of the receiver so that contributes to the cooler running since when you switch the amp to 4ohms the voltage is limited....actually I just switched my receiver to 8ohms(full voltage) and will probably leave it that way since I have adequate cooling for my deck now.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
One silly question if I may, have you switched off the speaker A and B switch on your Yamaha receiver since you are using an external amp?
Then why ask? :p

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Yamahaluver
:confused:

If no speaker load is connected to the respective front left/right speaker binding posts, then it is the SAME as being switched out.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
If the Yamaha is not shutting down it should be okay, but I suggest you get in the habit of turning off your receiver/amp when not in use - it will prolong their life, and allow the cabinet interior to cool down also. Also, if your cabinet has glass doors you might try cracking the door(s) slightly open to allow better ventilation. Axiom speakers do tend to draw a lot of current - you might consider getting 8 ohm speakers with 90-95 dB sensitivity; that would greatly lessen the load on the receiver. DCM makes such speakers, as does Klipsch and I think Acoustic Research does also.

Dsmith

·
Registered
37 Posts
My RX-V 2400 gets hot but not nearly as hot as the Denon 3200 that it replaced. I have about a 7" clearence between it and the upper shelf in an enclosed cabinet. But I don't think the 2400 gets unreasonably hot and it only gets hot in a small area at the center of the top panel where as the Denon would get hot any where I touched it on the top panel. I was often worried that the Denon was getting too hot so I'm happy that the 2400 runs "cool" by comparison.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took it back today; there were just too many things I wasn't satisfied with. So now I'm back at square one. I really like the customer service from the place I bought it, so I'd like to buy another from them. They carry Yamaha, Elite, Marantz, Rotel, Adcom and B & K. Another good thing is they have 6 month interest free financing (good and dangerous.) I really think the main reason I took it back was I wanted greater performance from a receiver that just couldn't give it. I listened to the Marantz 8300 and didn't like it much, just too warm for me. The salesman offered my a B & K 505 for one year interest free so I gave it a listen. I am really tempted by this deal, even though with $1,000 down it'll still be about $200 a month. But the sound, the quality, the warranty, the upgradability...see I'm ranting already. I'm also leaning towards the 3803 and Elite 55. But then again using one of those new HK's as a pre/pro and gettin' a 3 channel amp to go with the 2 channel is also enticing!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James W. Johnson
Then why ask? :p
:rolleyes:

Because people tend to overlook that, Yamaha explicitly states in their manuals that the when an external amp is being used, the main speaker switches have to be turned off.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
I took it back today; there were just too many things I wasn't satisfied with.
Good. I knew from reading all your posts that the 2400 wouldn't see too many days in your setup. I hope you find something you are truly satisfied with.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.