AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to setup my Un-Raid file server, with YAMJ and Win7 on my HTPC.

As you know, the Popcorn Hour only can mount one share/volume at a time.

I've got two shares on my Un-Raid server, HD-Films and DVD-Films and these are mounted as network drives Y: & Z: on my HTPC running Win7.

The YAMJ setup is also on my HTPC as well, I can setup the YAMJ ok with one share. (YAMJ loads ok, but it won't play any media. But it's fine under the NMT interface. So i guess it's a path problem?)

But the main question i'm asking is how do i go about joining both of these shares so the NMT can see only one share?

I've heard you can use Mklink in Win7, but i haven't got a foggiest on how to use it.

Anyone care to chime in, and help me through this?

Many thanks for any tips/answers given.

Cheers

Lee

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

I'm going round the twist here trying to make sense of all the info i've read since my last post.

My situation is my NAS box (Un-Raid) contains two shares, which are mapped on my HTPC running Win7.

Y: HD-Films

Z: DVD-Films

I would like to combine both of these shares, so i can run YAMJ with one share / mount.

Can i use Mklink to mount both shares in a shared folder on my HTPC?

If i can then i'd do the following.....

Create folder 'C:\\YAMJ-Share' on HTPC (Set for sharing, and set permissions to everyone & read only)

Then create junctions in Mklink

mklink /J C:\\YAMJ-Share Y:\\HD-Films

mklink /J C:\\YAMJ-Share Y:\\DVD-Films

NMT share points to shared folder C:\\YAMJ-Share on HTPC.

I haven't tried it yet, but that's how i think it's done?

Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction, if this isn't the case?

Many thanks for any tips / answers in solving my problem.

Cheers

Lee

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on people 87 views, and no updates?

I've had to rebuild YAMJ as two shares for now (HD & DVD)

But i would like someone to chime in?

Cheers

Lee

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry if i seemed hasty, but i was going round in circles for many hours to try and solve this problem!!

Looks like you can't use Mklink for networked drives.

And that takes me onto finding another solution!

Cheers

Lee

· Registered
124 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you have two individual shares on the unRAID NAS box. I am not an expert in unRAID, but I believe you can use softlinks (symlinks in the Linux world) to accomplish what you need.

You would create a third share on your NAS with its own directory. In that directory put symlinks to the other two physical directories corresponding to your other two shares. You then map your NMT to that new third share. The symlinks inside of it should then seamlessly redirect queries down into those sub-folders to the real directories on the unRAID box.

Google the Linux command "ln -s" (that's "ell n" as in short for link). The "-s" switch means a symbolic link.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya Bmeeks8,

Yes i've been reading about symlinks today, that command looks very similar to the post (On the NMT forums) i've read on Mac OSX doing a similar thing.

Well i've now gone back to one share 'Movies'. The DVD ISO's stay on the root folder, and the HD stuff is in a folder 'HD-Films'. At least YAMJ can see both shares at the same time, and one Jukebox to keep track of.

I did want to keep it simple, as this is my first Un-Raid project. (I'm sure you can get really complex setups if you wanted!)

Thanks for the advice/tips anyway.

Well i'm happy now, as my problem has been solved.

Cheers

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.