AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.
just set up my new lg oled 65'' and love it..esp with netflix uhd.

i am considering an a/v receiver (still researching as this area changes fast)
and maybe some atmos enabled speakers in the near future, but was also considering
getting the yamaha 207 yas soundbar as a temporary stopgap in the meantime.
i've just spent alot lately and i know that getting a good 5.1 will be at least 2k.

so would the yamaha 207 (or other) be a good choice?
under 1k...good for music and ht.
i'm 8' or 9' from my tv.

thanks

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
For the same price as the 207 get the 107 with an inexpensive sub, it will have better sound and better bass. Or get a better sub and use it for your 5.1 system in the future and move the sound bar to a bedroom, computer or other area. I don't know about in Canada but Costco had the ATS-1070 on sale which is basically the same as the 107 for $120.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the same price as the 207 get the 107 with an inexpensive sub, it will have better sound and better bass. Or get a better sub and use it for your 5.1 system in the future and move the sound bar to a bedroom, computer or other area. I don't know about in Canada but Costco had the ATS-1070 on sale which is basically the same as the 107 for $120.
thanks i do have an svs sb 2000 coming in...would that work with that soundbar?
will also be interesting to see the new soundbars released at CES this coming week.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the SVS would work with it.
sorry should have been more specific...can i use it from the soundbar?
or i don't have a 5.1...i only have my oled tv, and kef ls 50wireless speakers that i'm using for music.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Yes the sound bar has a subwoofer out connection and you can use it with any subwoofer. The 207 doesn't have a subwoofer output and you have to use their included wimpy sub. The 107 having 3"drivers outperforms the 207's 1.75" drivers it outperforms the 207 in midrange too. That's why even with an inexpensive 8" sub, the 107 outperforms the 207 in sound quality and bass.

The question comes if you have the LS50 wireless why not jut use them for the TV too? They have an optical and analog input so it should work with just about any TV. Plus they have a subwoofer output for lower bass. They will definitely sound better than ANY sound bar no matter what the price.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the sound bar has a subwoofer out connection and you can use it with any subwoofer. The 207 doesn't have a subwoofer output and you have to use their included wimpy sub. The 107 having 3"drivers outperforms the 207's 1.75" drivers it outperforms the 207 in midrange too. That's why even with an inexpensive 8" sub, the 107 outperforms the 207 in sound quality and bass.

The question comes if you have the LS50 wireless why not jut use them for the TV too? They have an optical and analog input so it should work with just about any TV. Plus they have a subwoofer output for lower bass. They will definitely sound better than ANY sound bar no matter what the price.
i was thinking of doing that (using kef ls50w and sub for both ht and music) but some have suggested keeping them separate...that ht sounds thru optical connection from lg oled to kefs isn't ideal for ht..
??

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The optical from the TV outputs the same format as ARC. I don't remember but the LS50 optical connection might be stereo only and if that is the case you would have to set it to PCM in the TV's menu. Either way it will sound better than a sound bar for sure. I work in this industry and get equipment at a good discount. Three of the TVs in my house that don't have surround systems on it I use active speakers (2.0 or 2.1) on all three TVs instead of a sound bar. I could of easily used a sound bar on any of these TVs.

Sound bars are great for sounding better than TV speakers and aesthetics but they don't compete with real speakers for sound quality. Their smaller drivers, horizontal driver orientation and only having the speakers a few feet apart go against the physics good sound. Sound bars to create a soundstage and surround sound where speakers don't exist have to decrease sound quality to do these audio tricks. Some might prefer having a faux surround sound but for me I would take the better sound quality and better stereo presentation every time. I would at least try and set up your LS50, you can always buy a sound bar and compare. Just return it if you don't think it beats your LS50. My bet would be you would be returning the sound bar after having the LS50 set up for TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts