AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been researching for quite some time now and this is my first post on AVS. Let me start by saying your all like the mad scientist Doc Brown when it comes to this stuff so Ill trust what you have to say. Im in the market for a receiver and Ive got it narrowed down to 4 choices. Ive researched every owners thread for hours dedicated to each. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and while every opinion is valued Id like to hear from people that owned more than 1 of these receivers listed for a demo and what not. Please dont list any more options because im confused enough, haha, and I think ive got it squared away in this regard. Main points to consider are: All these receivers have pre outs which is big for me as ill eventually add an amp in the next 12 months. Im driving 6 ohm nominal with a 4 ohm minimum rating of speakers X 5 plus a sub. So beefiest amp would need to be taken into consideration. Here are the amps. Do not factor in price!!! Just which is better for me. I dont listen to much music so this is gonna be for Home Theater use mainly. Cheers!!

1. Yamaha 663

2. Pioneer 1018

3. Onkyo 806

4. Denon 2809

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Denon and Onkyo generally test well on the bench in multichannel power output. From your list, I'd go with the Denon under the assumption that price is not a consideration. You could also check out the Onkyo 805 which is beefier than the newer 806.

·
Registered
779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianbale /forum/post/15422265

Ive been researching for quite some time now and this is my first post on AVS. Let me start by saying your all like the mad scientist Doc Brown when it comes to this stuff so Ill trust what you have to say. Im in the market for a receiver and Ive got it narrowed down to 4 choices. Ive researched every owners thread for hours dedicated to each. Each have their strengths and weaknesses and while every opinion is valued Id like to hear from people that owned more than 1 of these receivers listed for a demo and what not. Please dont list any more options because im confused enough, haha, and I think ive got it squared away in this regard. Main points to consider are: All these receivers have pre outs which is big for me as ill eventually add an amp in the next 12 months. Im driving 6 ohm nominal with a 4 ohm minimum rating of speakers X 5 plus a sub. So beefiest amp would need to be taken into consideration. Here are the amps. Do not factor in price!!! Just which is better for me. I dont listen to much music so this is gonna be for Home Theater use mainly. Cheers!!

1. Yamaha 663

2. Pioneer 1018

3. Onkyo 806

4. Denon 2809

The good news is those are all great choices. It's going to be hard to make a bad choice. I don't own any of them so I won't comment.

I don't think you have told us enough about your room, listening habits, and preferences for the slightly different feature sets of these units for anyone to help much.

Buy the one that looks best to you or maybe the one that sounds best. Which brings me to the final point. Until you set one of these up and get it working and calibrated in your own room you don't know what it really sounds like. That's the real problem with dilemmas like yours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.