AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I still be able to use the YPAO function on my RX-V1400 now that I'm powering all 5 channels with my new Anthem MCA 5 Series II amp or do I need to go to a sound meter now??

thanks in advance

jim

·
Registered
542 Posts
No answer for your question, but how does your system sound with the new amp? I have a v2500 and I'm considering an external amp--at least for the front three channels...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just picked up the Amp today and my new Ascend 340's + center are getting delivered today as well........I'll let you know.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoboat90
Will I still be able to use the YPAO function on my RX-V1400 now that I'm powering all 5 channels with my new Anthem MCA 5 Series II amp or do I need to go to a sound meter now??

thanks in advance

jim
The YPAO is found @ Pre-Outs so using an external amplifier should be fine..

·
Registered
408 Posts
The mic listens to the speakers in real time, so it shouldn't matter how the sound gets there. It should work just the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is using YPAO preferable to using a Radio Shack SPL meter??? My RX-V1500 didn't come with one so I'm waiting for them to ship me another. In the meantime, I went out and got the SPL meter to do some calibrating. Not sure if I should negate everything I did by using the YPAO when the mic gets here.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsor
Is using YPAO preferable to using a Radio Shack SPL meter??? My RX-V1500 didn't come with one so I'm waiting for them to ship me another. In the meantime, I went out and got the SPL meter to do some calibrating. Not sure if I should negate everything I did by using the YPAO when the mic gets here.

Does the v1500 allows you to save system settings? When I test out the different YPAO modes on my v2500 I save them each as a separate system setting (can save up to 6) and then I can easily load them and compare. If the v1500 supports system settings, then I would save your current calibration, calibrate using YPAO and compare the two.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I think the 1500 has a system editor that will allow you to save all your settings on a PC for backup. Neat stuff. I think the 2500 has the same thing now but you need to contact yamaha to get the software? It might be online as well I haven't checked in a while.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The YPAO in the V2500 is well ahead of the one in the V1400/V1500/V2400 in the area of user features. Only the V2500 has YPAO "presets" (up to six, as already noted) and allows modification of the parametric EQ settings.

As for the SPL meter, you might want to still use it as a sanity check of the YPAO derived configuration, as well as using your ears as a final check. Some don't like what these EQ systems do in the areas of soundstage and dynamics, and still YPAO doesn't fix anything with the sub channel other than level set and delay, so you might still need to mess around there.

But the SPL meter isn't flat either, so you have to take the response curve for A and C weighting into accout; should be in the SPL meter manual for you to look at.

I myself have an AudioControl SA-3050 with the A/C filter from my car audio days, so I use that over everything else. It's been replaced by the SA-3052 now. Their Iasys HT would be niccceee. That MultiEQ Denon uses in the top end seems to be a competing product on that kind of tier.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Actually, the 1400/1500/2400 allow you to save up to 6 systems settings using the extended IR codes for saving and recalling them. They used to be called "home bank" memory, rather than system settings - but they are basically the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.