AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a security light that the local power company installed in my yard.

It is on a telephone pole with the sensor on top.

Is there anyway to disable it when you want to watch a movie outside with out unscrewing the bulb?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nope.

Its probably operation at 240 or 277 volts so even if you had a remote switch/reciever it wouldn't work.

Blinds or a pull down shade are the best options.

If you dont ever want to see it put a ladder on the pole and flat black paint the section of the globe facing your home.

Hey; direct a laser to the photocell. See if that shuts it off.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I once lived in a house where the prior owner had a light installed on a pole out at the street. (VERY dark street on a dead end road)

After I moved in, I realized I was getting a $10 or $25 month additional charge on my electric bill for this "optional" light.

I did NOT want the light nor did I want to pay for it so everyone else could enjoy it.

I typed up a letter telling my neighbors that I was going to take the light down UNLESS they wanted the bill moved over to their account so they could pay for it.

Nobody responded so I called electric company and several days later, it was gone.

Just some food for thought. Give them a call & see if you have any options

·
Registered
17,370 Posts
As others have stated, it's likely this light belongs to the utility .. not a good idea to mess with it .. of course, if a stray BB just happened to crack the lamp ...

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19588670

.. of course, if a stray BB just happened to crack the lamp ...

...it would be replaced.

Suggesting vandalism is not OK, IMO.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee /forum/post/19588622

I once lived in a house where the prior owner had a light installed on a pole out at the street. (VERY dark street on a dead end road)

After I moved in, I realized I was getting a $10 or $25 month additional charge on my electric bill for this "optional" light.

I did NOT want the light nor did I want to pay for it so everyone else could enjoy it.

I typed up a letter telling my neighbors that I was going to take the light down UNLESS they wanted the bill moved over to their account so they could pay for it.

Nobody responded so I called electric company and several days later, it was gone.

Just some food for thought. Give them a call & see if you have any options

My neighbor did the same thing, except no letter to us neighbors. Two days after the light was shut off my car was broken into and all the stereo gear was stolen. The new neighbor had the light turned back on and apparently is paying the bill for it.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanau /forum/post/19533042

Is there anyway to disable it when you want to watch a movie outside with out unscrewing the bulb?

You could shine a spotlight on it, but it will restart in a few minutes.

I have a similar issue with wanting to sit outside in the evening with a small fire, but the alley security light is very bright and really spoils the mood.

I think I'll contact the City and see if they will install a timer or switch on it. I'd probably even be willing to pay for that convenience as long as it wasn't highway robbery.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanau /forum/post/19650122

Thanks for the response.

The light belongs to the utility company.

I plan on trying the laser to the the photocell and see if it works.

Maybe....and if you don't mind doing that every few minutes, give or take.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanau /forum/post/19533042

why would it be in your yard?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS /forum/post/19907448

If it's in your yard, shoot it with a BB gun. No one will call the company to replace the bulb. Now if it was a street light that would be a different story and should be left alone.

Why would you shoot the bulb instead of just having it shut off?

Even if it's in your yard it's still likely property of the utility company if it's a leased security light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts