AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys still have this option in Video output settings after yesterday's patch? It's used to right below RGB option - above deep color option. Now it's gone and graphics don't look as good through my monitor. WTF.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Do you guys still have this option in Video output settings after yesterday's patch? It's used to right below RGB option - above deep color option. Now it's gone and graphics don't look as good through my monitor. WTF.
Replied to your same post in the Yukimura firmware thread. It's gone for me too. I'm guessing/hoping this was an unintentional result of deploying the new patch and it will be fixed with a 2.5.1 or 2.51...if it was intentionally removed the reason should have been documented in the release notes.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
limited RGB clearly looks better on my screen as well.

I still can't believe they took out ycbcr for video output. After the 2.50 patch without ycbcr picture is not as detailed, and rich. Contrast looks degraded too. WTF is Sony thinking? I'm really annoyed when one of their marketing strategy over xbox one was native 1080p over 900 of xbox one. That they value picture quality. WTF. I might sell this **** off and go with xbox then.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think you are being over-dramatic. YCbCr should only be used for Bluray movies and media content. All games use RGB. If you set your PS4 to auto (before the patch), it would use RGB for video games (and likely any media apps) and would change to YCbCr when watching a Bluray.

Unless something went really wrong, the difference between the two should be marginal. Slightly off-topic, but I always find it funny that people who switch over to RGB Full (without changing the input level on their TV) rave about how much better it looks and has more pop, yet don't realize that they are losing pretty much all shadow detail.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well it really isn't over dramatic when you buy a 24 inch 700.00 monitor mostly for gaming on PS4 like I have. I was converting the signal through my monitor on limited range for ps4 gaming. Had all video output on the console to Auto so my monitor does all converting. Like I said before, I can clearly see the difference in contrast, detail and just richness of the whole picture now just gone after the patch. Why is Sony taking out ycbcr? I do get a bit of better framerate after the patch but the degratiom of picture is not worth the change. This is bull**** and sony should be called out for it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also read on another thread that RGB is standard definition and Ycbcr color space is native high def. WTF.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Your $700 monitor is RGB, not YCbCr, as is the case with every TV and monitor sold. Also, whoever said that RGB is standard def color space has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. They are simply spreading false information. The PS4 games I've played since the patch have looked the same as it did before the patch.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your $700 monitor is RGB, not YCbCr, as is the case with every TV and monitor sold. Also, whoever said that RGB is standard def color space has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. They are simply spreading false information. The PS4 games I've played since the patch have looked the same as it did before the patch.

The conversion process from the console is already upscaled through ycbcr even though monitor is rgb. the up converting is gonr, and I notice bug different on my monitor.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Have you calibrated your monitor?

The real issue (and point that I forgot to make) here is that YCbCr looks exactly the same as RGB, IF you recalibrate your monitor after switching. There will be no difference between the two if you recalibrate.

So if you had everything set up and calibrated for RGB and switched over to YCbCr, your calibration is now off and your picture quality is "technically" degraded. I say technically because people often misconceive more color saturation, contrast boosting, etc. as better, when it is in fact degrading your picture quality.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Have you calibrated your monitor?

The real issue (and point that I forgot to make) here is that YCbCr looks exactly the same as RGB, IF you recalibrate your monitor after switching. There will be no difference between the two if you recalibrate.

So if you had everything set up and calibrated for RGB and switched over to YCbCr, your calibration is now off and your picture quality is "technically" degraded. I say technically because people often misconceive more color saturation, contrast boosting, etc. as better, when it is in fact degrading your picture quality.

Yeah, it depends on how your TV interprets it. Even though they're two different ways of describing the same information, a lot of displays process them differently because they assume YCbCr is video and RGB is computer graphics. RGB uses three color channels, YCbCR uses a luminance channel and two color difference channels, mathematically they both cover the same range of values.

Either way the YCbCR full range option never should have existed because there's no spec that uses it - YCbCr is defined to use the same range as RGB limited, and that's the spec for HDTV. RGB full is for PCs and PC monitors.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
You bought that eizo panel, right? I dunno how it handles limited space/yCbCr but it's perfect in full. Set the ps4 to RGB full, set color temp to 6500K, set contrast and black level to 50. Turn contrast enhancer off and eco mode off. That should calibrate it perfectly.

From there it's up to you. Set brightness as high as you want it. For dim/dark rooms I recommend 30ish. Same for gamma, it's up to you. 2.2 is good for a dim room, 2.4 for pitch black, 2.0 for sunlit. The turbo 240 setting will clear up motion, but for 30fps games it might make it too clear.

Otherwise forget anything about ycbcr, it's inappropriate for this monitor.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Eizo monitor handles the conversion alot better than PS4. I set the video output on PS4 to Auto and let the Eizo handle the conversion process. If you try it, you will notice eizo gives much better processing than ps4. Limited range set on the Eizo and auto for ycbcr and rgb range, the picture looked absolutely spectacular on the eizo. Now that's it's gone, picture is degraded. Sony said they will bring it back next patch, so I guess I'll have to waut. Thanks for the r3commendayion, I'll give it a try sometime.

-peace

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
The Eizo monitor handles the conversion alot better than PS4. I set the video output on PS4 to Auto and let the Eizo handle the conversion process. If you try it, you will notice eizo gives much better processing than ps4. Limited range set on the Eizo and auto for ycbcr and rgb range, the picture looked absolutely spectacular on the eizo. Now that's it's gone, picture is degraded. Sony said they will bring it back next patch, so I guess I'll have to waut. Thanks for the r3commendayion, I'll give it a try sometime.

-peace
If you're manually setting the eizo to limited RGB there's no conversion or processing happening. If you manually choose it on the PS4 either one or the other is going to be an exact match for auto, most likely limited. I dont even think the PS4 will ever output YCbCr in games or anything but video, so I dunno why you're perceiving any difference in games regardless of what you choose for that.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're manually setting the eizo to limited RGB there's no conversion or processing happening. If you manually choose it on the PS4 either one or the other is going to be an exact match for auto, most likely limited. I dont even think the PS4 will ever output YCbCr in games or anything but video, so I dunno why you're perceiving any difference in games regardless of what you choose for that.

I don't have a technical explanation as to why there is a difference when y/pb/cb/prcr was taken out since I don't know much about video processing, but I can absolutely tell there is a difference. I don't have the time right now to look into it in detail but I'm sure there is a technical explanation as to what my eyes were seeing if i ever decide to look into it in future. The richness, depth, and contrast all looks degraded and anti aliasing also looks like it's been turned off. This is a dissappointment and very very annoying. For starters, just by the general look of things, since there was a ycbcr option other than rgb to begin with, I suspect they are 2 different individual signal and conversion/processing, and not 2 are the same - therefore would result to different outcome of picture. I just don't understand why they would take this option out when every HD player and PS3 still have it in their menu. Atleast have the option there where users can turn it off or on. One other thing I do notice is better framerate in games when ycbcr etc. option was taken out, but not worth the degration of picture quality imo.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Umm.....the ps4 doesn't output games in YCbCr only bluray. And the full option was for wtw because limited just clipped at 235. I'm pretty sure all monitors are rgb full by defailult. On ps3 you had option of outputting video in rgb but not other way around. This gen I guess video stays YCbCr and hopefully they just eliminated the setting because they realized there was no need of a clipped signal.......
Edit: also you're not just trying to have matching signals but also to limit the number of conversions to help minimize the input lag inherent in all digital tvs.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
I don't have a technical explanation as to why there is a difference when y/pb/cb/prcr was taken out since I don't know much about video processing, but I can absolutely tell there is a difference. I don't have the time right now to look into it in detail but I'm sure there is a technical explanation as to what my eyes were seeing if i ever decide to look into it in future. The richness, depth, and contrast all looks degraded and anti aliasing also looks like it's been turned off. This is a dissappointment and very very annoying. For starters, just by the general look of things, since there was a ycbcr option other than rgb to begin with, I suspect they are 2 different individual signal and conversion/processing, and not 2 are the same - therefore would result to different outcome of picture. I just don't understand why they would take this option out when every HD player and PS3 still have it in their menu. Atleast have the option there where users can turn it off or on. One other thing I do notice is better framerate in games when ycbcr etc. option was taken out, but not worth the degration of picture quality imo.
Honestly, sounds like you just had the settings mismatched and were crushing blacks, which leads to a darker and more saturated picture that makes the correct picture look hazy in comparison. If you like that look you're better off setting it up correctly and then raising the gamma to 2.4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts