AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im probably getting that or this flat screen JVC at samsclub, it says it has a Shadow invar tube in it. I think that's a good thing right? also the Advent seems like a amazing deal, but I read a review on the net saying it looked horrible on 480p, although I dont go buy reviews anymore. They said that sony was a great tv in a review I read, and I thought it was the worst tv iv'e ever seen in my life. It looked like you could see the lines in the tv so bad like half the picture was missing I mean it was horrible.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If "shadow invar" means "shadow mask", then it refers to the black pattern used to makes dots on the screen. Instead of using a mask with invidivual "holes" for the dots, the Sony Trinitrons use a grille of very fine vertical wires to separate red, green and blue dots. On large tubes the grille probably allows a bit more light through giving the Sonys a slight contrast advantage. And from what I've read, Sony's grille is a bit more durable than shadow masks. The masks have a little softer appearance though which is a bit easier on my eyes. I went with the Sony anyway though, because I wanted something that could withstand alot of abuse and customization.

I am a JVC fan, at least in terms of the picture, so your remarks don't surprise me. But I have no idea how they are on the reliability/service side. Sonys have a signature look which isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's possible to undo some of it though if you know what you're doing, or can hire a professional to calibrate it. IAC, make sure you're doing a fair comparison, the same kind of signals etc. And try the different picture modes on the TVs before you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.