AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear Pioneer may have new RPTV models for 2002.

If so, will they show up in October 2001?

As I understand it the Pioneer Elite 510 and 610 RPTVs

have been out for almost two years and the 710 has been

out for almost as long.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I hear Pioneer may have new RPTV models for 2002.

If so, will they show up in October 2001?

As I understand it the Pioneer Elite 510 and 610 RPTVs

have been out for almost two years and the 710 has been

out for almost as long.
And they're still one of the best made HD RPTV's to date.

Ira

------------------

Ira Solod [email protected]

Pioneer Elite 510, Lexicon DC-1 ver.4 DTS, Parasound 1205A 200W x [email protected] ohms, M&K S150THX LCR, M&K Surround-55 rears, Klipsch PSW-10 sub, Pioneer DV-F727, Quadscan Pro, DTC-100, JVC 7600 SVHS, Camelot Dragon 5.1, Power Wedge Ultra 111, Monster Power 2500, All homemade interconnects made mostly from RG-6QS

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Where did you get the info on the new ELites and any ideas on sizes and prices????

Thanks!

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think if you guys are expecting major changes, you're going to be disappointed.

I'd expect fixes for the "lock in full" problem, a better remote, *maybe* support for 720p (IMO, there's not much point), and either a DVI or 1394 interface. Otherwise, I can't see them changing the thing drastically.

Rich

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
When they introduce a new model I hope they've kept the same tuner expansion slot. It would be nice if those slots in the back of our existing sets could be used someday for something other than a 2000 dollar albatross. Maybe they'll introduce a new (dollar friendly) tuner with a 1394 port along with the new models....

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
201 Posts
My only complaint about the Elites is the "lock in Full" Could there possibly be a firmware fix or is it hardware related?

Ira

------------------

Ira Solod [email protected]

Pioneer Elite 510, Lexicon DC-1 ver.4 DTS, Parasound 1205A 200W x [email protected] ohms, M&K S150THX LCR, M&K Surround-55 rears, Klipsch PSW-10 sub, Pioneer DV-F727, Quadscan Pro, DTC-100, JVC 7600 SVHS, Camelot Dragon 5.1, Power Wedge Ultra 111, Monster Power 2500, All homemade interconnects made mostly from RG-6QS

·
Registered
72 Posts
My understanding is that the new Elites will have an much upgraded quality line doubler, no nine inch tubes, it will not lock into full mode with a progressive image. The expansion slot will still be provided, although 5c or DVI is still unclear as the format of choice. Mitsubishi will probably offer their " Upgradeable" fixes to other manufactures. So, don't give up on the older X10 series. Look for the new models in about 3.5 months

------------------

EA

[This message has been edited by EAnderson (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
"Mitsubishi will probably offer their " Upgradeable" fixes to other manufactures. So, don't give up on the older X10 series"

How can a 1394 STB output be stepped down/converted to Component or VGA without becoming analog?

·
Registered
681 Posts
It wouldn't be an STB. The Pioneers have a slot where you can plug in an internal HDTV tuner.

I would be very, very surprised to see Mitsubishi offer a module that plugged into the Pioneers tuner slot. I'd be surprised if they could even get the specification for the interface.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Mitsubishi has stated that they are working actively with other companies to either license or manufacture their "promise module" and technology for use with sets other than Mits. Whether this will actuall come to fruition given the cutthroat nature of the CE biz is another thing altogether.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hmm. The "locked on full" problem goes all the way back to the pre-HDTV 1009Ws. I know, because I've got one. It is kind of a pain to have to manual pull the set out of full whenever switch back off of an HDTV broadcast....

The descriptions given make this sound like an incremental upgrade to existing capabilities, rather than anything distinctly new (like 9 inch CRTs). However, it does "freeze the linebackers" for me in terms of moving forward with a purchase -- but then again I was probably going to wait a bit anyway.

Again, is there an on-line source for information on these new puppies, or are people just hearing this from Pioneer engineers to happen to corner in a bar somewhere? :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Yes, I wouldn't expect Pioneer to be shouting about this release, especially since the market may dictate that they come out comparably or lower priced than current models. I would expect this fall for current Elites to be bargain-priced (relative to Elites, that is), and for these new puppies to come in around the same price as current models.

This may be just the event I've been waiting for to make my valient leap from the 1009W to the HDTV line, especially given that Pioneer's track-record suggests that it will be a couple of years after that that we might see the next round of updates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all, Im new to the forum just saw it for the first time today.. Anyhow, I work for a new home theater company in las Vegas, NV. The owner and I just went to the Pioneer show at the venetian on 5/9. At the show I saw the new Pro520 and the new Pro720. I also got a chance to speak with one of the engineers. Here are the major differences.

1. New 4 element lens system -less elements=less distortion.

2. Finer pitch lenticular- for better resolution.

3. New reference theater mode-color temp to 6500k and turns off all digital processing.(svm/noise reduction/etc.)

4. No slot for tuner.

5. BNC connections on input 1.

The engineer didnt want to talk about IEEE1394.

Well, I will be talking with pioneer reps later this week, so if any of u have questions, email me with them so i can ask the reps. Oh, yeah... sets are due October.

I also saw the new vsx49tx.. it is a beast... 160watts by 7. but that is a whole other post..haha

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi joe,

Thanks for confirming the rumos about the tentative

October date for the new Pioneer Elite 520 and 720.

Will there also be an Elite 620?

Will they do 3:2 pulldown? What about lock-on-full?

I guess they won't display 720p natively or the

engineer probably would have mentioned it.

Will

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will, Yes of course they will do 3:2 pulldown... as do the proX10 models... and yes there will be a pro620.. It just wasnt on display.. also I have some more information on the changes to the pioneer standard line... which will not include a 58 inch set... I make a new post when i have a little bit more time in the next couple of days. OH.. and for lock out... Im not 100 percent sure.. but.. they had a dv38a progressive player hooked up.. and if it was hooked up through progressive outs then.. YES.. cause i changed the mode on while the DVD was playing.

[This message has been edited by iiijoelll (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iiijoelll:
4. No slot for tuner.
Does this mean that an HDTV tuner is built into the RPTV's and a slot for a tuner is no longer necessary? Or does it mean that an STB is now necessary?

Alot of us who have an Elite set were hoping for a new plug in tuner with firewire at a reasonable price. If there is no more slot for a tuner an upgrade becomes more unlikely.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read on another forum that the de-interlacing in the

new forthcoming non-Elite Pioneer RPTV's is as good as

the current Elites.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I read on another forum that the de-interlacing in the

new forthcoming non-Elite Pioneer RPTV's is as good as

the current Elites.
Do you have a link? I would like any and all info I can get on new sets from Pioneer

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.