AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 3rd Panny 42" and it's gone--completely. I turned off everything in my aparment and can't here the transformer unless I peer behind it. Woohoo!!!

BTW, I would like to extend a big thanks to Paul at ProjectionOne, as he was instrumental in seeing to myself and others' customer satisfaction. He truly goes beyond the "call of duty". I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again.

KeithR

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Little bit of nostalgia here. Anyone remember the raging debates about whether the latest 42" Panny had fans or not? Someone said that of course it did because he could hear them and if it wasn't a fan sound then what was it?

I guess it was the excessive buzzing then which, thankfully, now has a cure.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had my replacement panny for a few days now. When I first got it I reported virtually no buzz, or at least low enough and in a "better pitch" then previously so that it was not irritating.

(see nov 8 post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=48016

)

But, while watching NYPD Blue there were some very bright scenes and there definitely still is a buzz that is noticable from 9 feet away. It is much more focussed (i.e., I have a hard time finding the source with the radio shack spl meter) but still hits 72db with a largely white screen (measured from high up on the right rear vents).

I'm thinking of sticking some thin cork, or something, to the wall behind the vents of the plasma to absorb some of the sound. Any suggestions?

BTW, the picture is amazing.

-mark

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mark,

I wish I could explain more about the power cord and filter and it's effect on the buzz problem but the electronic resolution is way beyond my area of knowledge. You may wish to do a search on power cord and there were some discussions in the Audio Improvements forum about it. I upgraded from the oem power cord because I needed a longer one and found it reduced the noise but then my Panasonic has never produced the noise as some have reported here. My upgraded cord cost approx$100.

If your buzz noise is still irritating and especially if you could benefit from a longer cord, you may wish to try it. Alan Maher has some ideas, some are do-it-yourself. I bought my cord from Balanced Power Technologies. Chris made one special for the Panasonic 4uy. I had to send the first one they made back because it wouldn't plug in to the plasma properly, they redesigned it and shipped it back for free in two days. I was very pleased with both their efforts and their product. Chris had been a guest on the AVS Special Guests forum.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I agree it's worh trying something on the power cord. As for noise, perhaps trying out some dynamat would be good.

Mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
The "stock" power cord has an imbedded ferrite core thingie in it... so it looks like they (Panasonic) gave it some thought.

I have it plugged into a SmartUPS, and have

also had it plugged into a TrippLite power conditioner, with no difference.

But I'll experiment some more.

Thanks,

-mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.